Barrett Jackson on the Telly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

Tonight I decided to settle down, sigh in some satellite TV (I think it was the Discovery Channel) and watch some of the Barrett Jackson Car Auctions, from the USA.

So, with a mug of tea and a biscuit I was ready. Mrs M decided to join me on the sofa. What could possibly go wrong. Well let me tell you what could possibly go wrong.

It became evident about two seconds after tuning in, that our sound was broken. I mean broken as in destroyed, broken.

The picture quality was there in all it’s High Definition glory. But every time I switched on the volume our surround sound (Bose and Denon, very nice) would explode into a wall of noise that sounds like somebody left a badly injured Capuchin Monkey on the ground with a bench vice twisted around its reproductive bits. This was accompanied by an intermittent shout that could be traced to overweight folks on the telly blowing referees whistles whilst having some kind of fit.

After several attempts it became clear we were never going to decipher this screech.

My question is. How to the buyers at Barrett Jackson decipher it? How does anybody anywhere decipher or decide that infernal din into anything that gives you clue as to how the bidding is progressing. Seriously, two pneumatic drills operating inside a tin dustbin give the same sound.

The actual cars look stunning. But the auctioneers needs urgent throat surgery.

Just saying.

We ended up watching repeats of American Pickers. Nothing to do with nasal hygiene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve watched some of it yesterday. Don’t know how they do it and I couldn’t recognise the language they are speaking so I’ve muted it and just watched the cars and for what they were sold. And I agree with you some of the cars are just stunning.

I turn the sound right down and just watch the cars which are always stunning.

I agree with you Bruce the noise at these auctions seems excessive,not watched Barrack Jackson ones but I watched the Mercum Auctions,these seem to go on for at least 3 days,with guys blowing whistles to attract attention ,they have teams of 3 guys who push the cars onto the stage and then push it off again,I suppose you have to guess if the car actually runs :rolleyes:

I agree with you Bruce the noise at these auctions seems excessive,not watched Barrack Jackson ones but I watched the Mercum Auctions,these seem to go on for at least 3 days,with guys blowing whistles to attract attention ,they have teams of 3 guys who push the cars onto the stage and then push it off again,I suppose you have to guess if the car actually runs :rolleyes:

I do (apologies in advance Father for I have sinned) like Gas Monkey Garage. Seriously, it is worth having a read up on some of their exploits. The cars they produce are usually stunners and according to what I read, this is down to genuine hard work and cash flow.

My understanding is that the standards set by Barrett Jackson etc are very high. No rust, means exactly that etc.

Richard Rawlings is one wealthy guy who has made a fortune since his move away from Chip Foose.

But I still don’t get how he can decipher the din at these auctions. There must be a signalling/sign protocol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom