BAS/ASR Fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Bailey

Car
C280 Elegance
Here is the latest bit of "character" my car has developed...... Last evening, the BAS/ASR warning light came on. This has happened once before & on the last occasion it reset itself the next time I turned the ignition on. However, this time the light refuses to go out. I had a quick look in the user guide and noted that BAS will be deactivated if the battery voltage drops below 10v. I checked this and the battery gives a good 12.5v in static conditions, ie with engine off. ABS still works ok. BAS doesn't though, I needed to apply a lot more pressure to the brake pedal to get the ABS to kick in than would normally be the required. Cruise control doesn't work either, though the speed limiter does. I have not been able to check if ASR works at this stage. Before I embark on another exbenzive trip to the stealership, can anyone please offer a pointer as to what the problem might be and if it is something I can sort out myself? It would be good if this can be sorted out quickly and easily. The car is a 1998 C280 Elegance (V6). Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

Shude, you're an absolute Star! I'll take the plunge and go buy a new brake light switch on the way home later on.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Dave Bailey said:
Shude, you're an absolute Star! I'll take the plunge and go buy a new brake light switch on the way home later on.
9/10 it's the brake switch, the alternative is it's a sensor on one of the wheels.

The brake switch is obviously a rubbish design, it goes wrong on Audis too and I think it's basically the same item.

If you fit the new switch and it makes no difference then put the old one back and keep the new one for when it *does* break ;)

its only 10 mins to fit and diy no need for computer reset do not touch the bonnet release cable no need to
some main dealers charge £100 and 10 mins work rip off

Problem Solved!

Shude & Silver Arrow - thanks a million. It was the brake switch. Popped out to the local stealers a bit earlier on, cost of switch was £11.00 all in. I've gone from :( to :) in less than an hour.... Nice one!

Cheers,

Dave

If only you'd taken pics we could have a HOWTO for this obviously fairly straightforward mod - encourage some people to try it themselves and relieve the burden on the stealerships so they can concentrate on chasing warranty claims etc! ;)

I'd certainly be interested in a HOWTO for this as my BAS/ASR dash light has made a couple of guest appearances of late :rolleyes:

S.

Steve_Perry said:
I'd certainly be interested in a HOWTO for this as my BAS/ASR dash light has made a couple of guest appearances of late :rolleyes:
I might make a HOWTO myself, I don't actually need to replace the switch but the HOWTO will be the same regardless.

Anyone got a pic of the item in an oem bag with part number on it or do I have to buy one for this HOWTO? :rolleyes:

I might have my old one somewhere but I am sure I was given a step by step on howto change even though I did not do it myself!!

I recall the guy at the garage having to remove a fasica under the steering wheel to get to the BLS and yep, 10 minutes!!! and no BAS error!!!!!!!!!!

mobe

Shude said:
I might make a HOWTO myself, I don't actually need to replace the switch but the HOWTO will be the same regardless.

Anyone got a pic of the item in an oem bag with part number on it or do I have to buy one for this HOWTO? :rolleyes:

Sorry Shude, I changed it in the car park at work & I have no camera with me at the moment. The part number is MA001 545 01 09. I'll aim to take some pics of the old switch and post them over the weekend.

Rgds,

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom