BAS ASR light on dash board????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike d

Car
MERCEDES E300 AVANTGARDE TD AUTO
hi all.....can anyone help me....my Mercedes E300 AVANTGARDE TD AUTO (1999) has developed a fault.
a yellow light, on the dash, comes on and stays on,it has the letters BAS, ASR, and the word defective comes up...
ive been to a garage and thay tell me its the dash board/speedo clocks that is faulty and i need a new dash board....
has anyone else had this problem???
if so whats the best solution to fixing the problem????

many thanks....mike.

Hello

This seems a comon fault but its different from car to car. If you had your car hooked up to a star machine it seems to come back as a brake sensor switch (approx £10) and on some models its under the brake pedal (a simple fix)

I had it on my car and it resulted in a faulty speed wheel sensor behind an inner arch on the rear wheel. £40 to fix.

I googled the problem and had £1000 in my head to fix after reading some horror stories....it may not be bad at all....

Hello

This seems a comon fault but its different from car to car. If you had your car hooked up to a star machine it seems to come back as a brake sensor switch (approx £10) and on some models its under the brake pedal (a simple fix)

I had it on my car and it resulted in a faulty speed wheel sensor behind an inner arch on the rear wheel. £40 to fix.

I googled the problem and had £1000 in my head to fix after reading some horror stories....it may not be bad at all....

hi....many thanks for your reply.....i geust you mean the brake light switch?

regards...mike.

hi....many thanks for your reply.....i geust you mean the brake light switch?

regards...mike.

Yes thats it. Thats the best place to start. Its easy to replace on the W210 and is under the brake pedal. As its so cheap you may as well change it and see if that solves the problem. If not, the next best thing is to get it diagnosed using STAR to save time and money.

thay tell me its the dash board/speedo clocks that is faulty and i need a new dash board

What ! the warning lights come on so you need a new clock unit b*****ks if you aren't mechanically minded I would try somewhere else otherwise simple things such as brake light switch, earth connections are a start.

thay tell me its the dash board/speedo clocks that is faulty and i need a new dash board

What ! the warning lights come on so you need a new clock unit b*****ks if you aren't mechanically minded I would try somewhere else otherwise simple things such as brake light switch, earth connections are a start.

ok thanks....im not that mechanically minded...but because ive got a mercedes i guees the garage thinks ive go loads of money...
wont be going there again....
will find a differant garage.....
thanks again for the info.....

regards.....mike.

ps....the light does go out from time to time..but then comes back on when i start back up??????

Yes thats it. Thats the best place to start. Its easy to replace on the W210 and is under the brake pedal. As its so cheap you may as well change it and see if that solves the problem. If not, the next best thing is to get it diagnosed using STAR to save time and money.

ok thanks for the info.....
i will try a new brake light switch...but i will take it to another garage...

many thanks again for all your help.....

regards.....mike.:cool:

i have found all this quite interesting. i have just bought a 12 year old clk 230. lovely car great fun to drive, but this intermittent problem with the bas and asr light coming off and on is very annoying and a little worrying. but this has given me a few things to look at and hopefully fix the problem.:)

Brake light switch ..

Just done mine :)

quick question have you cleaned the engine bay in the last few months

if so also a bas , asr light will come on if the BAS unit under the bonnet has taken in water and fried it self common fault on a w202 and w210- its the little black box in front of the brake master cylinder it has three electrical connectors unplug and replace with another fault gone no need to get it reset

if you know any one with a w210 ask to swap for a few min and then you will know the fault is it or not then go to scrap yard and pick up one for very little money

im sure i have one in the garage for a w210 if it turn s out ot be this BAS unit pm me and ill post it to you just pay the postage if that helps

but also as above check the brake light switch cheap fix and quick to do dont forget to pull out the white part before fitting and dont be worried when you hear a clicking once fitted as its resets it self

keep us posted

Mine does this from time to time. So far has been traced to electrical gremlins, poor connections etc. Note, the wire loom itself is good, just some of the connections on the ends of the wires are dodgy.

Apart from the warning lamps, I don't think much of it is routed through the instrument cluster. It's been on STAR but the faults are intermittent. So far discovered it is not the reluctor rings (wheel sensors), nor the various suspension sensors (which I have cleaned and lubed the mechanicals). When errors occur, pressing the R button, clears the message but leaves the warning lamps on, and the fault - lack of ADS (defaults to hard but w/o the adaptive bit), parametric goes heavy, lack of BAS.
However re-starting the engine resets it (unlike the OP's problem which recurs).

Things that may fix this.
• Low battery volts - new battery.
• Brake light switch, the plunger jams in, which confuses the ECU into thinking the brakes are on - half hour upside-down like a bat under the dash, about £13
• Earthing points in engine bay corroded - three incl one under the air filter box.
• ECU, mine is labelled ADS inside the black box left side of engine bay, can jump out of its slot and has to be re-seated, controls BAS, PAS, ASR, ADS, ESP, ABS, etc.

Bas asr

hi all.....can anyone help me....my Mercedes E300 AVANTGARDE TD AUTO (1999) has developed a fault.
a yellow light, on the dash, comes on and stays on,it has the letters BAS, ASR, and the word defective comes up...
ive been to a garage and thay tell me its the dash board/speedo clocks that is faulty and i need a new dash board....
has anyone else had this problem???
if so whats the best solution to fixing the problem????

many thanks....mike.

I pulled out wrong fuse from the fusebox under bonnet and this BAS ASR came on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom