BAS ESP Warning Light 2003 ML270

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray1971

Car
ML270
Hi guys,

Apologies if I have posted at the wrong place, my first time so please exuse me if I have!!
A few weeks ago my car went into a garage to have a new diesel injector fitted as one was leaking. When I got the car back from the garage the BAS ESP warning was on - it never had been on before so I asked the guy at the garage what it meant. He said he put it on his diagnostic tester and the code that came up related to 'low voltage' from the battery. Incidentally the guy also said that when he did the work the battery was flat, so I dont know if an interior light was left on or whether ther battery was dead - but it was fine before I took the car in and I had never had any battery problems previously.

Anyway, I got the battery checked out afterwards and it was fine, but I still keep getting the BAS ESP warning light come on the dashboard, sometimes it goes off for a little while, but soon comes on again. This has been for a few weeks now.

Can anyone advise me what this is likely to be, I am bit annoyed as this only started happening since I took my car into a garage and the lights had never come on before either. The driving has not been affected at all, and everthing seems fine.

I have searched the internet for advice and have carried out the 'turning the wheel full lock three times' more than once, and also have disconnected the battery from the negative lead for 10 minutes, but still the lights come on.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you for any input.

Hi,

Get the faults cleared and make sure your battery charge is full.

Raj

Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I get the faults cleared?

Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I get the faults cleared?

Once the faults code are cleared, if the BAS/ESP light comes up again, whatever comes up once you get your car back on the STAR machine will tell you what possible faults you have, I had the same problem and after having the STAR put on my car the fault was diagnosed as a fault with the ESP lateral acceleration sensor which has been replaced, hope this helps.

Last time I had the BAS/ESP light it was simply the redundant brake switch that was broken (common fault) (about £7 to fix). It just switches the brakes lights on as you depress the brake pedal. However, as above. Get the codes cleared by a STAR machine and then rechecked if the problem re-occurs.

On my model of ML a 2003 ML350 when I had this fault it was a broken wire on a rear speed wheel sensor behind the arch.

Handy as the brake switch isn't a £10 fix on this model as its built into the brake servo...

In the end £40 fixed :)

I wish my fix was as cheap, I had open wallet surgery to the tune of £255.00 :(

Thanks for your help, how do I find a local garage with STAR? Or can anyone recommend a garage in Kent?

I recently had a recall notice to get my brake light switch changed on my 2000 ML270, took it to the local main dealer who did the job on and off ever since my BAS / ESP light keeps on coming on just had to recharge the battery as well it worked fine no lights at all before recall, any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom