Bas ets abs epc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roger57

Car
2011 E350 Estate, 2011 A180, 2006 A180, 1973 VW 1303
Hello everybody,
I suspect the answer to this question will be the ubiquitous STAR machine, but the forum is a pool of knowledge so I thought would check if anybody has experienced this before...

Occasionaly on startup, the four amber warning lights listed above come on. They dont go off when I drive away. If I stop the engine and restart it, the BAS ETS and ABS lights come on and they go off when I drive away. This happens every time the lights come on, but they do not come on every time I start the car. The last work done on the car was to drain and replace the brake fluid and install a set of HEL braided brake hoses because frankly, for a vehicle weighing over 2 tons, the brakes were frightening....

Any ideas before I throw £40 at my independent to plug his STAR in?

Car is a 2005 ML270.

Could be a wheel sensor, but yes you need to get it on STAR as that will tell you which one is at fault (assuming that's what it is)

I'd start by looking at the abs sensors on each wheel and make sure they are positioned correctly and connectors pushed on properly. Given the work you have just had done this is the most likely cause.

A quick check on star will tell you whether it's a sensor fault. Not sure if star is sophisticated enough to tell you which one, hopefully yes, as this will save some time ;)

cheers, Steve

I'd start by looking at the abs sensors on each wheel and make sure they are positioned correctly and connectors pushed on properly. Given the work you have just had done this is the most likely cause.

A quick check on star will tell you whether it's a sensor fault. Not sure if star is sophisticated enough to tell you which one, hopefully yes, as this will save some time ;)

cheers, Steve

Yes it does. It even gives you the count's as you rotate each wheel

Star

I had a thought that the connections broken when the brake lines were replaced may be a suspect; I'll look at them tomorrow.
Must confess to some ignorance here...I've heard much about the STAR diagnosis stuff but I dont know what it is. Is it an OBD or OBD II device, or maybe a software app running on a laptop? Can I buy one? Seems to me that if youre going to have an MB of this vintage you would forever be using it.......

Forget the bit about buying one...just had a toot at a leading online auction site and we're talking £600+...wont be buying one of those just yet...

Seems to me that if youre going to have an MB of this vintage you would forever be using it.......

I have one and its rarely used on my 2002. I don't think I have linked it up for over a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom