Base for shed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
I need to get a concrete base laid for a garden shed. The external dimensions are 5.1 x 2.9 metres, so the base will need to be a little bigger than that all round, and it will be sitting on a part of my lawn.

Does anyone know what the going rate (in labour) would be to get this done (including preparing the ground, laying hardcore, etc), and also how deep the base will need to be?

The base needs to sit level with the lawn so that the overall shed height doesn't exceed the maximum allowed within permitted development, so whatever the required depth is will need to be dug out first.

Before you get any work done figure out what tea and biscuits the workers would like.:devil::thumb:

Captain Scott extra strong blend from Tesco - same blend as was provided to the Antartic expedition, cracking good tea and perfect for this weather.

I too am contemplating laying the base for a shed and have decided instead to lay blocks and support the floor on a frame made from 4x2. Far quicker and no need to organise concrete.

Captain Scott extra strong blend from Tesco - same blend as was provided to the Antartic expedition, cracking good tea and perfect for this weather.

I too am contemplating laying the base for a shed and have decided instead to lay blocks and support the floor on a frame made from 4x2. Far quicker and no need to organise concrete.

The shed already comes with 70mm pressure-treated floor-bearers, but I want to ensure that they are sitting on a stable base. It's going to be taking a lot of weight, and I don't want it sinking/subsiding, or damp rising up into the wood from the ground.

MOCAS doesn't have a lawn mower, he has a combine harvester...

I didn't bother with a concrete base for my 6*12 shed.

Instead I dug the area out to the depth of a dense concrete block and an extra 20mm or so.

Laid three runs of blocks on a dry sharp sand/mortar mix perpendicular to the timbers I would use to sit the base on (necessary to allow an airflow under the shed).

Filled in the gaps between the blocks with pea-gravel to help with drainage.

Worked perfectly, easy to DIY and didn't cost too much. Shed hasn't moved/settled at all in three years or so.

The shed seems to be nicely vehicular sized.

Some interesting ideas there. I;d love to avoid having to get concrete laid if possible, if only on environmental grounds, so provided there are reliable alternatives I'm happy to explore them.

A caravan?

My shed is somewhat smaller, and a barrow is about the limit for vehicles!

Is this a riddle?

Some interesting ideas there. I;d love to avoid having to get concrete laid if possible, if only on environmental grounds, so provided there are reliable alternatives I'm happy to explore them.

Bit extreme but you could pack the area with hardcore and monoblock it.

No doubt totally prohibitive on cost.

If you are planning on keeping anything of a serious weight in it then you really should pour a proper concrete base.

I didn't bother with a concrete base for my 6*12 shed.

Instead I dug the area out to the depth of a dense concrete block and an extra 20mm or so.

Laid three runs of blocks on a dry sharp sand/mortar mix perpendicular to the timbers I would use to sit the base on (necessary to allow an airflow under the shed).

Filled in the gaps between the blocks with pea-gravel to help with drainage.

Worked perfectly, easy to DIY and didn't cost too much. Shed hasn't moved/settled at all in three years or so.

Very similar to what I did at the end of 2011.

It's not for a car, but for something with a distinct motoring connection.

You are in London. You are a man of education and with vast historical knowledge.

1.1.jpg

It's not for a car, but for something with a distinct motoring connection.

Ah, you'll be using it for the same purpose as me then...something with 2 wheels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom