Basic electrical question

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Gollom, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    Want to run power to my shed (not huge amounts - a light, drill and maybe a small fire now and then) The cable will run where there is no chance of it being dug up/interferred with etc. so would it be OK to use an uninterrupted run of basic twin & earth (I have a reel of the flat grey stuff) inside conduit/trunking? (don't want to go to the expense of armoured cable if I don't need to) I'd get someone qualified to connect up the final mile to a seperate fuse in the mainbox.

2. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    Funnily enough, you'll pay more for conduit than you would pay for armoured cable.

Suggest 1.5mm SWA cable, which will take 13 amps, and you can take it into a weatherproof twin socket in the shed, supplying it via a 13 amp fused spur (with RCD protection if ring main not already protected) from the nearest socket outlet... no need to go all the way to the fuse box for a small load.

However, by "connecting the final mile", the electrician is taking responsibility for the complete installation (under BS 7671 and Part "P" building regs) so you may have trouble getting a good electrician to do the job... I know when I was "on tools", even before Part "P", I would have refused the job.

3. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    You cant bury "ordinary" non protected cable. Its illegal AND dangerous.
    You can run it buried in either plastic or steel conduit designed for the purpose.
    An alternative is to run it above ground fixed by cable clips every 300mm or so.
    And use a RCD/earth leakage detector whenever you run power out the home.
    Do that and you can simply plug in to a convenient socket and not wire into the main box.
    I would use 2.5mm Twin and earth as a minimum. That will be more than OK for use up to the 13amp fused maximum.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. Mr E

Mr E Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    57 W211 E280 AG
    Part P also puts the garden into the same category as kitchens and bathrooms and needs a "competent person" to install and certify.

No problems for day-to-day running, but you'll need to produce the cert when you come to sell the house (which may not bother you).

I got the spark to put in a fused spur to my rear wall when he replaced our consumer unit - cost an extra £20. I then run the cable to the summerhouse from this socket - not a fixed installation. Pragmatic advice from the spark :)

5. mattc

mattc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 E270 avantgarde, 1994 E320 Coupe
    Steve, Like the other suggest do this as a 'temporary' power supply. Avoids all the nonsense of part p and if you ever sell up just take it with you as an extension cable.

6. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    When did part P come into force ? Is this the thing that was brought in in the last couple of years that needs a certificate for anything done ?

What if it was done before the regs changed ?

7. whizzkid11

whizzkid11 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Basic twin earth is DEFINITELY a no no.

The has to be protected, and armoured cable is the only way to go. It should be switched/fused and the ring should be on RCD. The laws surrounding house electrics are now very strict as of a couple of years ago and continually getting stricter. Its for your safety.

If you want to save money by cutting corners than I suggest you don't do it at all. If you are going to do it, the please, do it properly.

8. Satch

Satch Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
    Well it came into force just in time for our new kitchen and because of the scale of electrical works and a new consumer unit it meant we needed a full certification for the house: £600 including remedial work.

Bit of a gripper but found out as a result that the upstairs lighting circuit and the mains sockets in the garage had no earth.

9. portzy

portzy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
    All here

Cheers.
    Portzy.