Battery acid damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRBC43AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 1999 C43 AMG saloon "Grandma" (sold), Ultima Sports Can-Am (sold)
My battery leaves white acid dust around the metal support (battery in the boot). I cleaned the support and surrounding area last year and painted the damaged metalwork around. Checked the battery a couple of days ago and found the same acid damage. I pulled out the battery and discovered that both ventilation vents on the side of the battery was open. Normally only one is used with a piece of plastic piping through the bottom and out to open air. Now I understand the cause of the acid damage. I blocked and glued the hole permanently, so that should solve the leaking.
My question now is how do I clean all the white muck and make sure it stops it's eating away of metal. When clean, I will repair with a coat of primer and paint.
Any recommendations or tips?

Baking soda/Bicarbonate of Soda will neutralize battery acid. No comment on blocking the breather pipe. Acid splash could be a sign of over charging.

OK and I understand the use of baking powder, but as a noob how do you apply it? Dilute it in water, wash and rinse? Tks :)

Hot water is all you need. Not boiling, but hotter than you can touch.

+ 1 Hot Water.

You need an alkali to neutralize acid. Water (hot or cold)will increase the PH by dilution but it will still be acidic.
Have a read on the internet, How to neutralize battery acid and make your own mind up.

Trust me hot water is the way to do it. Remember this isnt acid Its the result of a reaction to the acid - i think its some form of sulphate, and it's already ph neutral ( or as near as dammit)
If is was acid I would agree

Hot water will make it just disappear and the surface will be ready for priming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom