BATTERY/ALTERNATOR VISIT WORKSHOP! (MB's Caps, not mine)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mloclam

Car
2002 C220 Avant Garde Estate
Greetings.

My 2002 C220CDI recently threw its Auxiliary Belt off. It was in a recent very cold snap shortly after pulling away after a cold-start. I drove the car to my local garage - they inspected and refitted the belt. Power Steering fluid was low and they concluded that the "extra work required by the Steering System caused the belt to jump off". The belt has since stayed on - 2 weeks/2000 miles.

When the belt came off I got the Subject "BATTERY/ALTERNATOR VISIT WORKSHOP!" alert. I continued driving to my garage, approximately 6 miles. Shortly before I arrived I got a "Battery Undervoltage" warning. The issue I now have is that when I unlock the car but before I start it I see the same "BATTERY/ALTERNATOR VISIT WORKSHOP!" message. It goes as soon as I start the car. The garage commented on it and confirmed that the battery was good (it was replaced 6 weeks ago) and that the alternator is charging at 14.6 V. Is the message a "remembered" message? Can it be reset somehow? The alternator certainly seems to be doing its job as is the battery and the light extinguishes as soon as I start the car. I've had no problems with the electrics during 4 x 400 mile journeys with heater, windscreen wipers and light all on.

Many thanks,

Malcolm

Thanks AMGeed . . . I'm heading home to Glasgow tonight, if the car makes it back I shall :)

Same thing happened to my W203, a guide pulley sheared which threw the belt off. A new pulley was fitted and I has the same error message for a couple of days until I disconnected & reconnected the battery and the message went away.

Try that, it should do the same for you.

Gaz74 - thank you that did it. It took two attempts, the first time I disconnected the battery for 10 maybe 20 seconds. The problem persisted. I tried again and left the battery disconnected while I had a coffee. All fixed. Thank you for the great tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom