Battery and wiring in 2003 683 vito - is this standard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badgering

Car
Vito 638 2003
Hi folks,

wondering if anyone can tell me what this little switch bit is intersecting the positive wires from the battery on my 2003 model vito 638 and if its standard or something after market? -

planning to remove the bench seat from the cab to replace with a single seat but this is bolted into the seat base and i cant work out what the flip its supposed to be doing -

any help on this?

Thanks
20210514_175917.jpg20210514_175910.jpg

That’s a battery isolator, not standard probably been fitted because there was a drain or something on the battery or if it’s hidden it could be used as a security item

Kill switch was my initial thought, and that is exactly what the part is right? But the weird thing is it doesnt seem to kill the battery ? Lol

Trying to work out what the wiring is to make more sense of it but not having a lot of luck...

I get the impression it was fitted for security/ insurance reasons as it seemed to have been fitted along side a pretty shoddy secondary alarm horn system - lots of sketchy wire connections and duct tape.

Im basically trying to switch out the bench seat base for a single seat base -

Will this switch be set into the seat base as an earthing thing or is that just a case of prefence of placement, i.e. hiding it for security? Can i remove it from the seat base and safely attach it to anything else?

Cheers mate !

I'd just turn it off and see what stops working. Could the previous owner have fitted an amplifier or second battery somewhere? I'd trace the red wire from it and see where it goes. The switch body would be insulated rather than earthed so wouldn't really matter what it attached to but the question is whether you still need it, if you do relocate it I would strongly advise insulating the terminals though.

It was vaguely insulated when i found it, with the plastic lid of a spray can with notches cut out of it and a ****in load of duct tape lol. Would sealing it all up in electrical tape be sufficient bodge of insulation?

Altho as im not sure its needed (think it was supposed to be a security feature) we will probably remove it and reuse it to fix up a leisure battery as ive read that this is the cheaper option for split charging - any thoughts?

Will go down and try trace the wires today

Thanks for your help again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom