Battery - any issues detaching +ve cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLee

Car
to No.1 brand in reliability
Guys, I am having problems with my Clifford Eagle II alarm system and upon reading up on the net it seems one of the first things to try out is to detach the positive cable from the car battery and let alone for a good couple of minutes, I suppose to 'reset' the system. My query is: what effects does this have on the vehicle ie what should I expect in terms of things going offline and when I reconnect the positive cable what I need to check to ensure all is ok with the vehicle's electronics?

Keith
ps. Btw the prob with alarm is that now I cannot activate the whole system via the remote at all - remote batteries are still fairly new. And just before this I actually had the heart stopping moment of not being able to de-activate the alarm.

On a W202 of your age I don't think there are many side effects!

I think on the newer models you may have to re-set the one touch electric windows, but I think yours should be fine.

Only things I can think of would be if you had a coded stereo (remember the code!) and the clock display. :)

Will

because if you disconnect the positive first and then let it touch the body you form a circuit - potentially dangerous

if the negative is connected and you happen to catch your spanner against something metal - same result

removing the negative first is a whole lot safer as the only possible way of short circuiting the battery is bridging the terminals :)

Andy

:confused: You mean the integrated fireworks is a bad thing and not a feature?

:D J/K
I'm embarrassed to say I have a degree in Electrical Engineering :eek:

Im pretty sure the clifford alarms have a lifetime warranty so why not take it to a clifford alarm installer and let them sort it?

You will need to reset the windows and sunroof (if fitted) also your dash lighting will revert to the brightest setting and the clock will reset.

jimmy said:
You will need to reset the windows and sunroof (if fitted) also your dash lighting will revert to the brightest setting and the clock will reset.

Isn't that just for the facelift models?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom