Battery Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sheffield Col

Car
Mercedes 2014, C Class 220 Diesel Automatic Blutec W205
I need to change my main battery, Car is C Class C220 Diesel automatic Blutec, 2014. W205 Chassis, been quoted an eye watering £246 inc vat. at the main stealers. My question is can I just put a quality branded battery on, and is it a straight swop, or do I need to have it programmed or any other stuff ? ps. any recommendations would be nice..

When I looked at my original MB branded battery it's really a Varta and it was relatively easy to put the MB part number in google and find the exact 85 Ah Varta Silver battery @£87. I haven't changed it yet but I have the reference number ready for when I do.

I can't be specific about your model but there seems to be no programming needed for a battery change these days other than to reset electric window closure.

One way to be sure you don't loose any programming when you change the battery is to connect a slave battery to the emergency start +ve lurking under a red plastic cover under the bonnet, with the -ve connected to the top of the suspension. However, you have to be very careful disconnecting and reconnecting the leads to the battery you are changing as they will still be live, be especially careful with the +ve and don't let it touch anything or you'll regret it!

if you decide to let someone else do it, do not under any circumstances allow them to connect a slave power supply via the OBD port, Halfords did that to my S204 a while ago and caused all sorts of mayhem - transmission locked in neutral so had to use the emergency release to get mobile, OBD port non functional, took my indie 2 hours to trace and rectify the faults (fuse 16 blown and secondary power supply to the TCM buggered) and cost Halfords £174 and me 2 days use of the car.

£246 is taking the pi**. I paid 149 for an agm varta g14 for my cls. Pretty sure it fits the c class also.Advanced AGM 019 Battery – Stop Start Technology | ABS Batteries

Hmmm It's £189 on the website now?
Varta G14 AGM Stop Start Car Battery (595901085) (019) | ABS Batteries
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/g14/
Tayna quote £172 for the same battery + delivery, so £7 cheaper
G14 Varta Start-Stop Plus AGM Car Battery 12V 95Ah (595901085)

Just got a AMG Bosch battery from euro car parts. saved £55. still licking my wounds though..

Tayna were brilliant with me.
I have a 2011 E250 and they're only just up the road from me in Abergele.
I bought the battery from them and there tech fitted it.
Because my car has stop/start technology with second battery, he just swapped the main battery over and nothing was lost or needed resetting.
All in £162 supplied and fitted.
Can't recommend then highly enough

I had a big high CCA Exide fitted by a place in Bootle for £100.00 The second time I have used them, I had the same spec battery from them for my Jag.

Just got a AMG Bosch battery from euro car parts. saved £55. still licking my wounds though..

I was in Spain for 3 months and my mate was supposed to drive my S 500 W 220 regularly but forgot

I replaced the battery via Euro car parts for around £140 after discount from £240

Just enter your reg and they will match up

Still working perfectly (hope this is not he kiss of death) 8 months later

Hope this helps

Stoker

Because my car has stop/start technology with second battery, he just swapped the main battery over and nothing was lost or needed resetting.

Just a thought, does having Stop Start function mean a different type of battery ?

Ecp even with money off codes offer no savings as they over inflate the original price to offset the savings.

Just noticed the new battery is 70ah. the original was 80ah. Do I need to change it to 80ah

Just noticed the new battery is 70ah. the original was 80ah. Do I need to change it to 80ah

Problem with ECP not doing like for like, last time I changed one of the old batteries I went from 80Ah to 100Ah.
I certainly wouldn't be going down the way so for me yes you should change it assuming your car was specified with an 80Ah.

Problem with ECP not doing like for like, last time I changed one of the old batteries I went from 80Ah to 100Ah.
I certainly wouldn't be going down the way so for me yes you should change it assuming your car was specified with an 80Ah.
Eurocarparts have some very irritating traits, for instance, if you look at sparkplugs they don't tell you the bosch code only their own code, extremely annoying.

Eurocarparts have some very irritating traits, for instance, if you look at sparkplugs they don't tell you the bosch code only their own code, extremely annoying.
Agreed with this point - it took them ages to 'price match' a Varta battery from Tayna Batteries because they needed to 'verify' that the Varta battery in stock was the same specification as the E39 Varta advertised by Tayna!

Result, got it changed for 80ah, and first thing I notice the stop start function is working again.

Didn't last, Stop/Start Stopped. Won't be shedding any tears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom