Battery Charger / Cigarette socket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wibble1001

Car
sl320
Hi ...I have a '94 SL320 and recently bought a accumate charger to keep the battery topped up. The charger can be plugged into the cigarette socket ...but only if it is active when the ignition is switched off. I checked and the power only comes on with the ignition ....is there a way to have the cigarette socket wired up so it works with the ignition off?

Unless there is a second position for the fuse (as in later models) then doubtful.
Personally I'd rather connect directly to the battery terminals..

Unless there is a second position for the fuse (as in later models) then doubtful.
Personally I'd rather connect directly to the battery terminals..
Yep ... thanks .. you are probably right .... do you know with these trickle chargers whether you can connect straight onto the battery ...so you dont have to remove the terminals first?

My only experience is with the Ctek and one can connect directly without disconnecting. The Ctek has a very low ripple current so won't upset the onboard electronics.
I doubt any modern maintenance charger would be a problem. Perhaps contact the manufacturer and enquire?

Yes - been doing it for many years (best part of 20) with my 968 coupe then/now cabriolet. The wires to the battery on my conditioner are so fine I can close the boot lid over them without damage, which means the car is locked and alarmed (battery in the boot). I just use crocodile clips onto the battery connectors. Don't know if you can do that on an SL!

Depending on the make of charger you can buy terminals to permanently wire onto the battery. You then just plug into this when you need to charge and nothing needs moving. On my R230 i have this loom on the boot battery.

Yea, you just wire a new 1 an leave it in the glove box (just mind and fuse it close to the battery)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom