Battery charger for V Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maryjim

Car
Mercedes V Class 220d
Hi, I have a MB V Class and am looking to purchase a strong heavy duty type battery charger. Can anyone recommend a good battery charger that would be suitable for my car? Many thanks

Hi & welcome. Is this a new/current shape V Class, or a first generation (pre-2003) one? Is there a particular reason why you need a battery charger?

Thank you for replying, it’s a 2017 new shape model. I was looking to get a charger as my battery had gone flat for some reason and the charger I have is only charging one volt, so I was looking for something more substantial

Toolstation SIP Chargestar Smart 18 Automatic, covers 12 and 6v, gel, AGM and wet batteries, slow and fast charge, and 3 stage charging, £50 delivered. I've recently bought and used one, easy to set up and does an excellent job on my 100AH Varta 109 wet battery.

With a modern vehicle I would be a bit cautious about using a fast/powerful charger unless you've taken the battery out first - check what the handbook says. Figuring out why the battery went flat should be a priority!

Thank you all. I don’t know why the battery went flat I’m thinking it could have been from not using it for a few weeks. I shall have a look in the handbook to see if they mention any particular chargers to use but I’ll also have a look at the tool station charger to see if that would be suitable.

The battery shouldn't go flat in a few weeks ... could be a few things:

- Battery is failing
- Charging problem
- Parasitic drain (something consuming power when the vehicle is parked)

The last one is probably the most likely.

Your charger may be failing to charge due to the battery being in deep discharge, I would be checking the battery voltage.
You can sometimes cheat the battery / charger by effectively jumping it and getting the battery voltage up some, but if it's foobar'ed it's just that.

Pulse repair can be effective, I've had some success with one of these

I have a Ctek MX5 charger, it recommends to disconnect the battery when using recon mode. it pumps out 16 volts.

Ctek MX5, Everytime, simple to connect & small enough to store easily

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom