Battery charger recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony7Bear

Car
C220d Sport Premium Plus
Last May I purchased a 2018 plate C220d Sport Premium Plus model which has been great in all respects except one, the battery. For the first couple of months the ECO start/stop function worked as expected but gradually it worked less and less, this seemed to coincide with warnings from the MercedesMe app saying that the battery was critically low. As per the warning I would take the car for a drive for 30 minutes or so and all would be fine for a while.

While sitting in a queue of traffic yesterday I realised that the start/stop hadn't kicked in and it hasn't done so for many months. Even though I haven't driven that much since the lockdown started I do occasionally receive the battery low warning message if I go for a short drive or something, this has got me thinking that I should buy a battery charger in the hope of reconditioning the battery.

As I've never purchased a car battery charger before I'm not sure what I should be looking for in the way of features or capabilities, as such I'm looking for some guidance from you good people, what make/model would you recommend?

Last May I purchased a 2018 plate C220d Sport Premium Plus model which has been great in all respects except one, the battery. For the first couple of months the ECO start/stop function worked as expected but gradually it worked less and less, this seemed to coincide with warnings from the MercedesMe app saying that the battery was critically low. As per the warning I would take the car for a drive for 30 minutes or so and all would be fine for a while.

While sitting in a queue of traffic yesterday I realised that the start/stop hadn't kicked in and it hasn't done so for many months. Even though I haven't driven that much since the lockdown started I do occasionally receive the battery low warning message if I go for a short drive or something, this has got me thinking that I should buy a battery charger in the hope of reconditioning the battery.

As I've never purchased a car battery charger before I'm not sure what I should be looking for in the way of features or capabilities, as such I'm looking for some guidance from you good people, what make/model would you recommend?

You should look into amperage as a 900mAh battery would take ages and heat up a lot on a small 450 or 500 which would be the most commom and easy charger to find.
You will need something like this or better.

This might be a stupid follow-up question but as the warning messages mention the starter battery does it need to be charged separately, indeed can that be done? If so where is it located?

Be very careful with using booster packs as detailed above, MBs electrics don't care for them. Owners have had issues following using these packs.

Re the battery charger/conditioner, you will be able to connect it to the 'jump points' under the bonnet which would be sufficient for it to be conditioned and recharged.

Being a 18 plate car, you would hope that battery isn't much older than that, if at all. Probably just wants a 'top up' caused by lack of use.

Maypole 7423 from eBay/Amazon just over £20 . (AGM friendly ) had it for 3 years , cable hardwired to the battery for each car . Also neighbour and Dad have them as well .

Maypole 7423 from eBay/Amazon just over £20 . (AGM friendly ) had it for 3 years , cable hardwired to the battery for each car . Also neighbour and Dad have them as well .
I had my ML in a slumber for a few months, stupidly I didn't disconnect the battery, I used a £20 charger off Amazon.

It took two days to bring it back to a healthy 12.6v and now holds that voltage, I attached the charger terminals directly to the battery.

It also charged my Audi A4 cab which was sitting for almost a year, it took around 18 hours but once again the battery is functioning as normal.

Bad practice on my part for not disconnecting, but the £20 'smart charger, AGM compatible' off Amazon seems to have rescued both without causing any unwanted symptoms.

Here's the one I have/used:

You should look into amperage as a 900mAh battery would take ages and heat up a lot on a small 450 or 500 which would be the most commom and easy charger to find.
You will need something like this or better.

I use CTEK 5.0 too. It's an amazing bit of kit, have used it for recharging various batteries (including AGM).

This might be a stupid follow-up question but as the warning messages mention the starter battery does it need to be charged separately, indeed can that be done? If so where is it located?

It does if you have one - depends on the age I think (I now understand 2016/2017 is the rough changeover year.

If you don't have one, your capacitor is probably faulty and needs replacing (warning message doesn't differentiate).

FYI:

Where is auxiliary battery in w213 E220d located? | Parts, Maintenance & Servicing

I have a 7428 and 7423 and both have been great in lockdown.

Like many owners, car usage has been restricted these last few months. Even though it was still a surprise to get a warning text that the battery charge was low. Even after the suggested 30 minute run it still would trigger another warning a few days later. As my first service was due I mentioned this to the dealer.
Their solution was to test the battery (although said it was fine) but they then kept the car overnight to "charge up" the battery. Only symptom apart from the warning text was that the Eco stop-start did not work (on the way to the dealers for the service). After battery charging the Eco stop/start worked as usual.
Whilst I recognise that car use may be less frequent, it has been some years since I had to consider using a battery charger to keep a car fully operational!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom