Battery coding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jc651

Car
2012 Mercedes e250 sport
2012 E250 W212............

Just a quick one for you.........
Fitted 2 new battery's to my car today and all is good but I need to know if they need coding to the car before I use it. I tried to get into battery management with my snapon computer to code them in but I just keep getting no communication on the screen. I then looked into live data and the car seems to be charging them ok but i don't want to do any damage using the car if they need coding in.

Many thanks for any help and answers guys.

You don’t need to code the batteries, they are plug and play.

Cars equipped with Start/Stop technology have a battery management module, that monitors the batteries' input (charge) and output (to consumers).

If a (say) depleted battery is replaced with a fully charged one, this will confuse the battery managing module and the car might come-up with various electrical faults and warning lights on the dash.

There's a WIS process for replacing batteries on cars equipped with Start/Stop, it involves saving the settings prior to the battery swap, then resetting the battery memory module after.

That said, the process requires STAR, which most people won't have an access to, so the majority of DiY owners simply replace the battery.

In the event that you do experience any issues, however, the good news is that the battery management module will eventually sort itself out and the electrical faults will go away.

Thank you for the info........ I have been out in the car today and all seems fine with no warning lights or faults on the car so hopefully that's them done. They had been on the car from new and lasted 10yrs but the large one was on it's way out so thought it best just to change them now before I started getting problems with it.

Good news, did mine earlier this year and no issues so its not complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom