Battery dash warning visit workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dickster

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL55
Hi there,

I have owned my car for 15 months and this warning has always appeared when I start the car. It does not reappear whilst driving so I have lived with it.

I fitted the relay 57 initially but that hasn’t sorted the issue - although that and terminal 61 are mentioned when I run a scan for fault codes.

The car is on trickle charge all the time. A couple of days ago I disconnected the charger and let the car sit for 24 hours. When I check ed the voltage both batteries were 12.7v. I started the engine and both batteries indicated 14+ v. So everything seems to be in order.

The roof is sluggish sometimes - sometimes it goes up and down in 20 secs, sometimes is reluctant to move at all. I put it down to a weak battery but now not so sure.

Why does the warning keep appearing? 🤷‍♂️

I had it scanned when I bought the car and was advised to change the relay.

I don't mind buying new batteries, IF I know it will cure the issue.

Perhaps the batteries need load testing?

Yes, I agree, its about time I bought a battery tester. Can anyone recommend a good (cheapish) one, with conductive testing ability?

Thanks

If the battery warning keeps appearing I would look at the alternator.

Your rested voltage of 12.7 volts is spot on for a standard battery but low if it happens to be an AGM.

First thing I would check is the battery terminals are tight then a do a load test. I'm not a great fan of permanently connected trickle chargers unless I'm very confident that the voltage is low enough as an incorrect voltage can damage a battery. I prefer to charge once a week if the car is not in use.

Is there anyway that the batteries can be linked? I.e. when I test the rear I am getting a reading from the front battery? I guess not but want to be sure. Would it be better to disconnect the batteries to test them?

Not sure about the alternator, seems to be charging well. And I'd rather be certain before parting with cash.

Thanks for the links.

I like the electronic versions like this?

It has good reviews at least

have you changed the relay?

I get very rare days when the warning doesn’t appear and then the next day it’s back.

Battery checker arrived today and both batteries tested fine, 100%. Good news, bad news!

I checked the roof pump and the fluid level is fine, on the top arrow.

So what’s causing the battery warning and slow roof ? 😫

The code suggested relay 57 or terminal 61, what is terminal 61 exactly? Perhaps the new relay isn’t working?

Could the alternator be faulty even though it’s charging fine?

Get your battery tested and replaced or recharge as NEC
What relay ??

Take it you have an sl 230 model so 2 batteries
One under the bonnet is a starter battery only and the one in the back is a consumer battery lights wipers radio seats etc . What does the battery warning say on the dash ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom