Battery dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paintboy

Car
E class
Well, l ve an e class 2011 diesel coupe and left a new battery to be fitted at my usual garage. I tested it when it arrived and it said 12.9v. They put it on today and it won't light up any dash lights let alone turn it over.
I m arguing with the seller about a refund but that's my issue.
The garage put the old one back on which sits at 12.2v at rest, and hey presto started fine.
Why didn't the new battery work?
Admittedly it's not a top brand, but it's supposed to be a stop/start product.

That doesn't make any sense, if it was a new battery it should at least bring the dash lights on.
Where did you buy it, online ?

Fitting issue?.... from that voltage (12.9v) I take it that's its an AGM battery?

That doesn't make any sense, if it was a new battery it should at least bring the dash lights on.
Where did you buy it, online ?
It certainly doesn't make any sense. I ve tested it and it's 12.89v. trying it on another car might not be conclusive that either the garage have done something wrong or not

It certainly doesn't make any sense. I ve tested it and it's 12.89v. trying it on another car might not be conclusive that either the garage have done something wrong or not
Sorry, yes online. It's not top of the range but it's a stop/ start AGM, with same spec

If its 12.89v.... and if its connected properly... and the car does not have a fault.... the dash would light up. One of those things is/was wrong.

I use this garage alot, so l don't think they ll stitch me up. They are supplying a battery and fitting it tomorrow. I don't know what that proves with the one they tried today. I m getting car back tomorrow and all l can think is to disconnect this new new battery, and connect the other one and see if it lights up the dash. I m hoping it doesn't. If it does then I ve an issue with garage. I may get it tested independently

Anyone know which fuse would stop the ignition lights coming on. Could that be a reason

Anyone know which fuse would stop the ignition lights coming on. Could that be a reason
Did the garage change the fuse when they put the old battery back on. ?

I don't know. I ve used them for couple of years and they've sorted out other technical stuff so I m sure they know how to fit a battery. All l know is they fitted it and it didn't work. Put old one in and it worked. Didn't mention any fuses.
I m going to see if this new one will run my other car.

According to Mercedes main dealer the car won't recognise any batteries apart from a mercedes battery

Mercedes don't make batteries . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom