Battery issue on 2012 C63 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ViperPict

Car
2012 C63 AMG
I picked up a 2012 C63 AMG on Monday, have driven it without issue for ~400 miles since and today I have some (what I think are) battery-related issues. Boo!

Basically, the car seemed to start OK but it was clear the power steering was not working (very hard to turn the car around on the drive). Then the battery warning light came on, the information console shut down, the car started running rough (no power) then it cut out! I let it settle for an hour or so, tried again and it did the same thing.

The garage are sending round a car transporter to take it back into their service dept to get it checked out. From the fact the battery warning light is coming on, I'm thinking it is not getting a charge - alternator/ alternator belt or cables? I'm assuming the ECU shuts down power-demanding systems (e.g. power steering, information console) in order to keep sufficient charge to start car and open the door locks?

One thing to note - it was quite cold last night (although not very cold, around freezing).

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Cheers!

V belt or tensioner gone. Have a look under the bonnet to see if you can spot the belt loose or missing.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

V belt or tensioner gone. Have a look under the bonnet to see if you can spot the belt loose or missing.

Thanks, I will check that you. I'd have hoped the dealership would have checked tensions of belts etc before selling the car!

I may be wrong. But the power steering and alternator will normally be driven by the v-belt. From what you describe? Both are not working with the common feature being the belt. It may slipped or a tensioner may have failed. But that would be my first port of call.

Good luck. Do let us know the outcome.

I may be wrong. But the power steering and alternator will normally be driven by the v-belt. From what you describe? Both are not working with the common feature being the belt. It may slipped or a tensioner may have failed. But that would be my first port of call.

Good luck. Do let us know the outcome.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what I find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom