Battery location UK Right Hand Drive 2012 SLK 250 CDI R172 please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robamacs

Car
SLK 250 AMG Sport
Greetings from sunny old Leicestershire...not!!

I recently purchased a 2012 SLK 250 AMG Sport R172. I chopped my STI Spec-D Impreza in for it, that I had had for 8 years and 1 day !!

I do find the Merc much nicer in a lot of ways to own and drive, but it's infuriating in others, as I had the full Service Manual for the STI and did all my own spannering on it, and there is bugger all it seems documentation wise for these cars available.....which brings me on to my question.

Has anybody got a photo of the location of where the main battery is on a UK Right Hand Drive 2012 SLK 250 CDI R172 please?

I've searched for hours, and cant find anything regarding the UK cars and the location. The owners handbook is no use nor ornament either.

I am presuming that it under the obscure cover right rear (as you stand and look at the front of the car, but I've no idea what the cover does, nor exactly how to get it off safely without possibly breaking something). I dont really want to start damaging stuff on my new car, as you can appreciate.

If somebody has some info, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Rob.

Greetings from sunny old Leicestershire...not!!

I recently purchased a 2012 SLK 250 AMG Sport R172. I chopped my STI Spec-D Impreza in for it, that I had had for 8 years and 1 day !!

I do find the Merc much nicer in a lot of ways to own and drive, but it's infuriating in others, as I had the full Service Manual for the STI and did all my own spannering on it, and there is bugger all it seems documentation wise for these cars available.....which brings me on to my question.

Has anybody got a photo of the location of where the main battery is on a UK Right Hand Drive 2012 SLK 250 CDI R172 please?

I've searched for hours, and cant find anything regarding the UK cars and the location. The owners handbook is no use nor ornament either.

I am presuming that it under the obscure cover right rear (as you stand and look at the front of the car, but I've no idea what the cover does, nor exactly how to get it off safely without possibly breaking something). I dont really want to start damaging stuff on my new car, as you can appreciate.

If somebody has some info, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Rob.
It’s where you think it is , there are three black plastic clips 1 at the front 2 at the back . Half twist and pull up . You will probably find they are broken. The battery is under there also you will be able to see the fan motor and a drain hole make sure that is clear as water can get into the fan and blow it . You also have a second Aux battery for stop start behind the passenger seat .

Also join Slkworld . Com . Loads of info , free data sheet , lots of knowledge on the site .

I knew the UK boys would come up trumps!! Just been and looked and got the cover off OK. Clips are all in one peice, but couldnt see them as its tight at the back of the cover between that and the rubber bulkhead seal.
Am I right in thinking we can push the bonnet hinge clips in and put the bonnet vertical on this car? Seems like it needs 2 folk to do it though. Would have seen the rear fixings if the bonnet had been upright.
I did join slkworld.com, but spent hours on there looking for this answer...I found the exact location of the battery of every SLK model ever made, apart from mine, so found you guys when i did yet another google search.

Thanks for the info.
Rob.

I knew the UK boys would come up trumps!! Just been and looked and got the cover off OK. Clips are all in one peice, but couldnt see them as its tight at the back of the cover between that and the rubber bulkhead seal.
Am I right in thinking we can push the bonnet hinge clips in and put the bonnet vertical on this car? Seems like it needs 2 folk to do it though. Would have seen the rear fixings if the bonnet had been upright.
I did join slkworld.com, but spent hours on there looking for this answer...I found the exact location of the battery of every SLK model ever made, apart from mine, so found you guys when i did yet another google search.

Thanks for the info.
Rob.
Yes you can put further back , I’ve never done it . Don’t forget to sort your drain holes there are loads and if blocked they will cause you problems . Also Gummi Phledge your rubber seals every year or they go flat and don’t seal . Get it on eBay . Look it up on slk World they have pics and info how to half open the roof so you can get to the seals without any damage . Have you got a Panoramic roof (see through) or a full inner head lining because you probably could change it for £100 and easy to do. They are great cars the diesel has a lot of poke.

I already had the Gummi Phledge as I used it on my STI Impreza seals (frameless windows). Ive already given the seals on this a bashing with it. I have got the panoramic roof, which hasnt got the roof lining in, so I can see through it already.

I've gotten as much foliage out from the drain holes as I can for now when I got it on the 12th of this month (always do things like that on any new vehicle I get), but god know where the prior owner patrked it, as the crap is everywhere. I need to have the wipers off and the scuttle covers off as well, because there are ash tree 'helicopters' everywhere in the engine bay. A proper PITA!!

One thing I find a bit odd is that this car doesnt seem to have a 'proper' bolt in place left foot rest...mines a 2012 model (but its only done 14,400 miles). Not sure if later ones had an actual foot rest, but mine seems to be a 'spongy' wedge. Its a bit of a nuisance, as I cant really use it as support to push against like I did in the STI to hold myself in place, due to the sharp angle of it.

Also, whoever decided to make the throttle, brake and the left foot wedge all different heights and angles needs a proper poke in the eye....not good design at all as the brake is ridiculously high compared to the throttle, even when the pedals are at rest.

Cheers.
Rob.

6BCBDBD6-774D-4B8C-9680-BB2E68292E0A.jpeg
I already had the Gummi Phledge as I used it on my STI Impreza seals (frameless windows). Ive already given the seals on this a bashing with it. I have got the panoramic roof, which hasnt got the roof lining in, so I can see through it already.

I've gotten as much foliage out from the drain holes as I can for now when I got it on the 12th of this month (always do things like that on any new vehicle I get), but god know where the prior owner patrked it, as the crap is everywhere. I need to have the wipers off and the scuttle covers off as well, because there are ash tree 'helicopters' everywhere in the engine bay. A proper PITA!!

One thing I find a bit odd is that this car doesnt seem to have a 'proper' bolt in place left foot rest...mines a 2012 model (but its only done 14,400 miles). Not sure if later ones had an actual foot rest, but mine seems to be a 'spongy' wedge. Its a bit of a nuisance, as I cant really use it as support to push against like I did in the STI to hold myself in place, due to the sharp angle of it.

Also, whoever decided to make the throttle, brake and the left foot wedge all different heights and angles needs a proper poke in the eye....not good design at all as the brake is ridiculously high compared to the throttle, even when the pedals are at rest.

Cheers.
Rob.
Can’t tell you about the footrest yet as I’m in Cyprus at the moment . One guy I know pours drain cleaner down his drain holes . I either use thin wire or compressed air, then I check by pouring water down it . 14000 miles that’s great ,mines a 2015 had it since 6 months old had 4000 on it now a whooping 17000 . Show us a picture then .

I havent actually got any of it at present, as the weather has been shocking, and I havent been able to clean and polish it.

May sound a bit odd, but I told the dealers that I bought it off a few weeks ago NOT to wash, hoover, clean, spray silicone all around the engine bay, or try to generally 'touch up' anything on the car.

I told them to leave it 100% as thay had received it, as I could then see any bits that needed a tickle to get them back up to snuff.

Only real bits I've found are a few stone chips, and the silver middle of the discs and calipers need a refurb. Wont be an issue, I'll just whip em off and spruce em up. Already done the fronts.

And I've been into the service menu and tested the retract on the electronic handbrake pistons, for pad or disc change. So all good there hopefully when it comes time to do them (this weekend hopefully).

I must say that I'ts one of the few cars I would like to own in white. Yours looks lovely. Mines Iridium Silver (most of my main cars have been silver to be honest), but if I hadent found this one, I had seen a couple of white ones I was going to look at :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom