Battery problems on my ML W164

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sparksville

Car
Merc ML 280 SPORT CDI W164
Hi everyone , this is my first time s please be gentle!

I have got a few issues with my Ml 280 Sport 2006 model!

1) I keep getting the ESP/ABS and run flat indicator not active lights up for short time on initial start up and lasting around 10/30 mins.
2) the red battery sign keeps coming up and visit workshop indicator on the ECU, This also stops the cigarette lighter working( I know this as my iPhone docker is sat in it!) this is easily cleared by revving the engine a little but it is happening when the car is traveling at 75 mph on the motorway in cruise control? If its a battery issue then am I wrong in thinking that the battery is charging all the time when in use???
3) if I put my foot down going up a hill it sometimes sticks at 2000rpm in any gear causing the car to rapidly slow down and this is rectified by switching the engine off and restarting( I used to have a ml270 2002 and this happened due to the MAFS but eventually couldn't reset and went into limp mode, will this happen with the 280 ml??)

I have recently had the car in for a service with no problems and these problems are getting more and more frequent

I did a voltage test on the battery and with the engine off it sits around 11.9/12 volts and on startup it drops to around 10 volts and steadys out around 14 volts but slowly drops to 13.7/13.6 on idle! It drops off also with each rev and slowly builds back up?
I have ready on here about speed sensors, alternators, big battery's ,little battery's and regulators! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Oh and if I have to change the main battery, Is there a mechanical stop on the drivers chair to stop it coming fully forward? Can't seem to make it travel far!

Kind regards

Sparksville

Hi everyone , this is my first time s please be gentle!

I have got a few issues with my Ml 280 Sport 2006 model!

1) I keep getting the ESP/ABS and run flat indicator not active lights up for short time on initial start up and lasting around 10/30 mins.
2) the red battery sign keeps coming up and visit workshop indicator on the ECU, This also stops the cigarette lighter working( I know this as my iPhone docker is sat in it!) this is easily cleared by revving the engine a little but it is happening when the car is traveling at 75 mph on the motorway in cruise control? If its a battery issue then am I wrong in thinking that the battery is charging all the time when in use???
3) if I put my foot down going up a hill it sometimes sticks at 2000rpm in any gear causing the car to rapidly slow down and this is rectified by switching the engine off and restarting( I used to have a ml270 2002 and this happened due to the MAFS but eventually couldn't reset and went into limp mode, will this happen with the 280 ml??)

I have recently had the car in for a service with no problems and these problems are getting more and more frequent

I did a voltage test on the battery and with the engine off it sits around 11.9/12 volts and on startup it drops to around 10 volts and steadys out around 14 volts but slowly drops to 13.7/13.6 on idle! It drops off also with each rev and slowly builds back up?
I have ready on here about speed sensors, alternators, big battery's ,little battery's and regulators! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Oh and if I have to change the main battery, Is there a mechanical stop on the drivers chair to stop it coming fully forward? Can't seem to make it travel far!

Kind regards

Sparksville

Batteries are cheaper than most of the parts you mention. If factory fitted and therefore 5 years old, you should change it/them before winter.

If problems continue, obtain a STAR diagnosis. In my opinion!

Get a new battery if it over 3 years old and get the alternator output checked by a competent auto electrician or Bosch service centre. [ yellow pages]

Hi thanks for the response! Can I take the battery out myself? Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom