Battery Protection: Convenience features not available...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Been getting this a few times recently - I suspect due to the cold weather and the load I am probably placing the battery under accordingly.

I found some knowledge on this on here and couple of other MB forums but looking for fill the gaps.

I understand I have two batteries, one under the cabin air filter in the engine bay, and one under the carpet on the right in the boot.

It could be either or both of these with an issue.

Not sure if both but the main battery should be mid 13 volts even under load with the engine started?

If not both the same, what should the aux be?

Can I use a regular multimeter to test both batteries, and will the voltage alone give me a clue as to which unit is duff.

I've read a recommendation to use Varta (and their online tool) or Bosch for replacements as opposed to MB.

Any help appreciated.

and one under the carpet on the right in the boot.

if it's not in the right, it's installed length wise, just behind the rear seats, and just before the spare wheel well ...

you have to remove the spare wheel well carpeted mould to get to it ...

this is how it is in my CLS55

Hello

I have been getting "Convenience features not available... " since I bought the car off my dad. I thought this was normal until the car gets warm?

I jump in it start it up and say I put the heated seats on they flash until the battery says its ready.

Is this not how it should work?

I did price up a new Bosh battery over a year ago its only around £120 but its been like this for so long and its been fine?

Just meausuring the voltage is not enough to test a battery.
Of course it will give a good indication of the state of charge. - it should be around 13.7-14.3 volts.

The correct way to test a bettery, is to charge it fully, and then measure the voltage on a high rate discharge tester (at an auto electrician)- unless your battery is proper knackered, this is the only real way to test its condition.

Hello

I have been getting "Convenience features not available... " since I bought the car off my dad. I thought this was normal until the car gets warm?

I jump in it start it up and say I put the heated seats on they flash until the battery says its ready.

Is this not how it should work?

I did price up a new Bosh battery over a year ago its only around £120 but its been like this for so long and its been fine?

Hmm, I don't think it is normal to have this all the time but part of me wondered if this was normal as these batteries must be on the limit with these cars - but only in times of extreme demand.

I don't get this in milder/warmer weather, so I assume it is not normal. But then again, my other cars just let me get on with it - possibly to the detriment of the battery.

The only reason I think it is not normal is because my message has more or less stayed on permanently this morning - and a chilly ass is highly inconvenient when you are carrying rse-warming hardware.

I only get "Convenience Features not available" if the car has not been used for more than 2 weeks. Even then, it disappears within 5 minutes after starting.

Could be that the battery controller needs a software update - MB did mine last year cost £45.00 and all was well until Christmas.

After starting it is normal for the warning message to 'go away' however the longer you leave it unresolved the worse it will get.

After a number of attempts at charging the thing I had the battery checked and it was found to have a problem with one or more of the cells, that of course answered why it would not hold a full charge for long - so I have fitted a new battery.

BTW got a price match deal from my local MB dealer.

Mines bleeding 1.3amp from battery in the boot. Local indie said he was able to source the drain to an ECU within the Command, but could not take it further. He suspects it's to do with the phone. (However, even when I pull the Command fuse overnight I get the same massage as you in the morning - a pain as have to idle it for a few mins before rear demister etc works).

Luckily my warranty covers all Electronic Control Units, not just engine ones, and I keep meaning to get it into MB, but not had the time as of yet.

I'll watch this with interest and post back if I can get mine in quickly in to be sorted.

Last edited:
I have had this issue in my workshop recently.

Causes can be:

Poor battery(s)
Poor alternator output
Current drain
Battery control unit
Battery control unit software
Battery relay at front
Coding incorrect.

I used to get it on my previous car every morning.

The dealer was clueless as to what was causing it even after three visits.

In the end I decided to replace the battery and it never showed up again after that.

I have to add mine only shows for maybe 5 mins or less and them normal function allows.

I don't use the car much so maybe that's why also? It is new battery time? It's been like this for a long time do not really thought anything about it.

Ah, you can’t beat a frosty winter’s morning to find any flaws in the electronics :D A battery charger with a good management system make's early morning get away's unhindered, IMHO:thumb:

Cheers all.

I might arrange a test on my batteries.

The car is now 7 and at 55K, I can well imagine the battery is starting to struggle.

Mind you, I don't know if it has the original batteries.

Mine just seems to tie in with cold days, even if the day before wasn't and I'd not used any of the things seemingly disabled now.

^ Mines 8 and 132K miles although not sure if your model and mine (320cdi) share the same battery?

The one in it is the original though

Hmm, not sure but it sounds like mine should go on for a while yet then...

Just to be really annoying, I got the message for a couple of minutes and then it went today.

I think it has something to do with how long I leave the heated seats on for the day before.

Of course you should be able to just leave them, and they gradually lower the setting themselves.

However, I am just going to turn them off once they are slightly warm instead as I don't feel the need to set light to £100 unnecessarily - or worse find it makes no odds.

My car is due an MOT mid Feb so will get the batteries tested then...

Mines been absolutely fine for over a year now doing this, I thought it was normal until the car gets warm?

watch this I bet it will not start next time :)

Mines bleeding 1.3amp from battery in the boot. Local indie said he was able to source the drain to an ECU within the Command, but could not take it further. He suspects it's to do with the phone. (However, even when I pull the Command fuse overnight I get the same massage as you in the morning - a pain as have to idle it for a few mins before rear demister etc works).

Luckily my warranty covers all Electronic Control Units, not just engine ones, and I keep meaning to get it into MB, but not had the time as of yet.

I'll watch this with interest and post back if I can get mine in quickly in to be sorted.
If anyone's interested, i took the plunge...

It's been at MB for the last 2 days. They have finally diagnosed 3 items that have suddenly colluded to cause the drain. Boot-closing electronics, sat nav, and something to with a 'battery module'.

Cost to fix... £400 per unit, total bill.... £1,900 inc.

Got a nasty feeling that my warranty co will try and repudiate, even though policy wording states all electronic control units are covered. I dont know the difference between a module and an ECU. Is there one?

MB being good as they can be though, saying will only bill me for 2 hours if I don't proceed with the fix.

Think the new plugs might have to wait a month or so. Bloody thing will be perfect once I learn to stop being so ****!

Hope your fix is easier JohnEBoy.

If anyone's interested, i took the plunge...

It's been at MB for the last 2 days. They have finally diagnosed 3 items that have suddenly colluded to cause the drain. Boot-closing electronics, sat nav, and something to with a 'battery module'.

Cost to fix... £400 per unit, total bill.... £1,900 inc.

Got a nasty feeling that my warranty co will try and repudiate, even though policy wording states all electronic control units are covered. I dont know the difference between a module and an ECU. Is there one?

MB being good as they can be though, saying will only bill me for 2 hours if I don't proceed with the fix.

Think the new plugs might have to wait a month or so. Bloody thing will be perfect once I learn to stop being so ****!

Hope your fix is easier JohnEBoy.

We shall see.

I got a red 'Visit Workshop' warning today with a battery symbol. I've had these before now I think of it except I forgot to ask about it last time I was at my local.

I'm guessing it is either duff battery/ies or a drain like yours, except mine will definitely not be the boot closing mechanism.

I thought module was sort of slang for ECU - not sure there is a difference...

I definitely didn't get anything like this throughout April until towards the end of last year.

Do you know how do they work out what is causing the drain? Do they stick a multimeter between each pair of contacts per fuse in the fuse box or is it a STAR function?

We shall see.

I got a red 'Visit Workshop' warning today with a battery symbol. I've had these before now I think of it except I forgot to ask about it last time I was at my local.

I'm guessing it is either duff battery/ies or a drain like yours, except mine will definitely not be the boot closing mechanism.

I thought module was sort of slang for ECU - not sure there is a difference...

I definitely didn't get anything like this throughout April until towards the end of last year.

Do you know how do they work out what is causing the drain? Do they stick a multimeter between each pair of contacts per fuse in the fuse box or is it a STAR function?
My (limited) understanding from what my indie first told me, followed by MB today, is that they test with a multimeter and unplug various fuses first. Then if it's not obvious, it goes onto STAR. My indies star was not good enough to narrow it down, he said.

MB went through everything yesterday and today after plugging it in Tuesday evening for the night. Put on and took off new parts to see the difference, while it was hooked up. They got the drain down to the acceptable few milliamps, from what was 1.3A.

I didn't suspect the boot could be a one of the culprits for a second, but who knows!

The service manager did claim that, for a short while, the USA barred MB from importation of our model to certain docks due to the time the car was in transit. He said that they were clogging up the docks as they could not be driven after being unloaded, due to flat batteries. Felt a bit of a mug listening to that spiel, but was a good story.

I'll ask for a copy of the diagnostics they did if they kept them. You're welcome to a copy if it helps. Can't collect car til Mon or Tues due to prior commitments, but do let me know if you think it would help.

Lord, I hope an ECU is the same as a module!

Cheers

I very much doubt all three are faulty they are just covering all the bases.

JB - its worth changing the small battery or giving it a slow charge, they all do this at this time of year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom