battery recommendations. W124 E300d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpv01

my battery has died so time to invest in a new one. Want a good strong battery as i am running on veg and the guys on the veg forum seem to say the best mods for running veg are good glow plugs and a strong battery to help starting when cold.

what code of battery fit my car and what typre/make should i get?

Bosch Silver or Varta Blue 100Ah CHECK OUT YOUR OPTIONS HERE. http://www.varta-automotive.com/
I'll let you into a secret-- they are both made by the same company.

You might also want to make a visit to your local MB commercial vehicle dealer if you want a pukka MB battery.

Last edited:
Get a 100Ah Merc battery from a Merc Commercial dealer.

is 100ah the amount of charge it holds which will make it better for difficult cold starts? is that more than standard batteries i.e. what i will have in there now?

seen good things about varta and bosch but also that "halfords own" isnt bad either.

who makes the MB batteries?

how can i find my local MB commercial vehicle dealer?

is 100ah the amount of charge it holds which will make it better for difficult cold starts? is that more than standard batteries i.e. what i will have in there now?
Effectively, yes, but the CCA figure (Cold Cranking Amps) tells you how much power it can deliver in a short time

seen good things about varta and bosch but also that "halfords own" isnt bad either.
Halfords are bound to be the cheapest possible

who makes the MB batteries?
Google

how can i find my local MB commercial vehicle dealer?
Google

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Halfords was not the cheapest option when I bought one last year - independent motor factor was quite a lot cheaper - when I pushed them for a discount - I got the Bosch HD battery for £75 +VAT. Also try Costco. Also Bristol Batteries if you are in South west?
Dont buy a cheap one - good reccomendation here for Varta or Bosch - didnt know they were the same maker!

Sorry Nick just re-read your post - agree Halfords own brand will be cheaper.

got a bosch silver one. quite pricey at £115 from GSF. it is the long type (14" long) when the battery that was in there was the smaller type. both GSF and halfords said it was the correct size for the car. Went in ok and works fine in the car. should give me more starting power on veg too i guess.

GSF also had banner as the cheap option for about a tenner less but i hadnt heard of it until i just read the above post so didnt go for it. the halford battery which was there standard type (they have special 'premimum' calcium etc batteries for other cars) was £99.

Good investment -you won't regret it. The thing with good batteries is you fit and forget for 5 years.:rock:

Good investment -you won't regret it. The thing with good batteries is you fit and forget for 5 years.:rock:

spot on. i am more inclined to put the better starting down to the stronger battery rather than the new super-duper glow plugs i have put in. dont know why but it seems to crank it so strongly and forcefully.

What year is your 300D? The long battery wouldn't fit my 250TD

I fitted a Mercedes battery to my 250TD and it lasted 11 years

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Banner are actually a good battery... they werent in the past but they make very good batteries now..

That said I always pay a little more and go for bosch.

I know you're sorted now but a Merc 100Ah p/n A0055412501 is £115 from Inchcape online. Might be cheaper from a comemrcial dealer.

What year is your 300D? The long battery wouldn't fit my 250TD

I fitted a Mercedes battery to my 250TD and it lasted 11 years

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

You have to 'modify' the ends of the battery tray

Phil

i just replaced my 11 yr old MB battary, I had a look around and the MB dealer did the best deal 100Ah 750A MB batt for £80. Original didnt do to bad with all the ICE in the car!

my car is a '94 E300d multivalve. The battery tray did need to come out for it to sqeeze in but it just fits and is stable and secure.

you will be pleased with yourself on a really cold morning next winter!;)

Reactions: dot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom