Battery Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tamrsoft

Car
E220 CDi (2001)
I have to replace the battery on my E220 CDi. Can anyone advise as to whether disconnecting the battery causes any re-synchronisation issues when the new battery is reconnected, ie is any critical ECU data lost that has to be re-entered. I had a similar issue on my old BMW 520 in which ECU parameters were temporarily lost, and it took several miles of driving while they were being re-created (the car drove like a dog). BMW advised maintaining continuity of supply when changing the battery.

"Continuity of supply" sounds like a recipe for a fire to me. I can see the benefits of continual supply in theory but the practicalities of it might be difficult.

No car is damaged by the disconnection of a battery - it is essential to be able to do this for when welding is done, for example; though it can cause some inconvenience. Often, there is a time period without power supply within which data is maintained. Therefore, I would advise just a simple change that is done quickly (i.e. new battery charged and ready to slot straight in as the old one comes out).

The E-class (211) has a second battery, anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem (it is specifically there as a reserve supply). Is your a 211 or 210?

Philip

Here's a great tip in this thread Click Me When buying a new MB battery - Basically buy it from Mercedes Commercial as its alot cheaper !! ;)

Just make sure that the new battery is ready/fully charged to go straight in BUT make sure that key is removed from the ignition, no doors/bootlid are open so that no lights are on/in use and just swap over as per normal but as a precaution I would make sure that one of the windose are fully open prior to the swap should something go wrong.

In relation to resynchronisation the electric windows need doing (just hold the buttons upwards for a few seconds and if BAS/ESP error occurs then turn the steering wheel full lock from left to right couple of times and restart the car...

I bought a new battery from the dealer and they lent me the power pack to keep the car 'powered up' while I changed them over - on a Sat as well!

When I required a new battery on my W210 the local Brabus (Kent) garage fitted it for free and they were not expensive.

I would enquire at MB first, you may be suprised at cost.

I have done reserach into this and found that VARTA bought through other sources were cheaper significantly in comparison to the Stealers... As already suggested try a MB Commercial Dealer who will probably be cheaper.

When my car went in for the big battery recall (was replaced by Stealer FOC) they spent just under an hour replacing it (yes car was inside the w/hop for nearly an hour...) :crazy: :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom