Battery W123 280TE M110

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kruger

Car
W123 280TE
I was wondering if someone could advise me on the best replacement battery for my 1982 280TE?

Any advice appreciated
Kruger

The best one is a genuine Mercedes one. There is a difference.

If going after market you need to check dimensions connector [post] type hold down and capacity amp hours and cold cranking current
Here's a BOSCH and some VARTAS The S5 and VARTA Silver dynamic are basically the same battery

0 092 S50 050

o.I

S5
Voltage 12 V, Battery Capacity 63 Ah, Cold-test Current, EN 610 A, Length 242 mm, Width 175 mm, Height 190 mm, Terminal Placement 0, Hold-down B13, Terminal Type 1
Utility no.:
12V 63Ah 610A,
563 400 061

transparent_60x60.gif

o.I

BLUE dynamic
Voltage 12 V, Battery Capacity 60 Ah, Cold-test Current, EN 540 A, Terminal Placement 0, Hold-down B13, Length 242 mm, Width 175 mm, Height 190 mm
“Like-for-like” replacement of batteries sold to the OE channel, Engineered to the highest German standards, Patented PowerFrame® grid for reliable starting power, fast recharge and corrosion resistance, Meets all original criteria of the car manufacturer
Utility no.:
D24,

warenkorb.gif
transparent_60x60.gif
570901076D852

o.I

SILVER dynamic AGM
Voltage 12 V, Battery Capacity 70 Ah, Cold-test Current, EN 760 A, Terminal Placement 0, Hold-down B13, Length 278 mm, Width 175 mm, Height 190 mm
“Like-for-like” replacement of the battery sold to the OE channel, Made in Germany in the world's largest AGM production plant, Patented PowerFrame® grid for reliable starting power, fast recharge and corrosion resistance, Meets all original criteria of the car manufacturer, Suitable for all vehicles with start-stop system – kicks in earlier, works harder, lasts longer (part of OE design ensuring highest fuel savings in start-stop systems)
Utility no.:
E39,

warenkorb.gif
transparent_60x60.gif

o.I

SILVER dynamic
Voltage 12 V, Battery Capacity 63 Ah, Cold-test Current, EN 610 A, Terminal Placement 0, Hold-down B13, Length 242 mm, Width 175 mm, Height 190 mm
“Like-for-like” replacement of the battery sold to the OE channel, Engineered to the highest German standards, Patented PowerFrame® grid for reliable starting power, fast recharge and corrosion resistance, Meets all original criteria of the car manufacturer
Utility no.:
D15,

Last edited:
Varta make most of the batteries for Mercedes and Tayna batteries sells them at reasonable prices.

I normally buy either Bosch S5 ( comes with 5 year warranty ) , or Varta .

I'm not sure if the UK has different size than the USA but a H6 / Group 48 is the one I use. Some people love to say that the Mercedes Brand batteries are better than others. Mercedes Benz doesn't make batteries,, they put stickers on batteries made by someone else.

In the US, only 2-3 companies actually make batteries so whatever the sticker says. It's probably made by the same company that maks them.

My only advice is to get the best deal you can find on the one that offers the best warranty (example, 3 year free replacement) and don't buy AGM in this case as the battery is under the bonnet and the alternator is set up to charge a lead acid battery.

In my case, I pay $35 for a blemished battery with a 3 month warranty from my interstate dealer because it usually lasts as long as a $135 battery and if it doesn't, i'm only out $35.

Good luck.

Thank you for the very thorough replies. I’m getting a Mercedes one at an extortionate price!

The best one is a genuine Mercedes one. There is a difference.
+1 for Genuine Mercedes battery - the factory fitted ones from MB typically last for over 12 years for my cars!

10% discount for a genuine MB battery is a good deal.

Thank you for the very thorough replies. I’m getting a Mercedes one at an extortionate price!
To put the reply into context you would have to post the battery part no/ specification warranty and price?

Last edited:
To be fair to Mercedes I've bought several batteries from them for my vehicles and they have been competitive on price compared to the well known brands, you may be able to get a generic brand cheaper, but given the price difference it's Mercedes for me.

+1 for Genuine Mercedes battery - the factory fitted ones from MB typically last for over 12 years for my cars!

I just yesterday put a Bosch S5 in my daughter's 2002 VW Polo , the dying battery I took out was a 'Toyota' brand , so definitely not original ; at the same time I replaced the rear half of her exhaust system ; the rotten one coming off I'm pretty sure was the 18 year old original system , since it still had the VW logo stamped into the back box , and I had to cut the pipe between the middle box and the back box since it was all one piece ; either that or remove the rear axle ; the replacement 'Klarius' system from ECP ( pretty sure they used to be Timax before getting an image boost with a Germanic sounding rebrand ) came in two parts which sleeved together ; and I think it will be doing well to last 5 years never mind 18 . But then , the exhaust system plus the battery came to a little over £200 , whereas Kwik Fit tried to rip her off for £900 , just for an exhaust , and I priced the genuine VW parts at a whisker under £400 ( again just the exhaust ) ; all of which would be silly to spend on what was a £500 car 30 months ago . Although she hasn't done much mileage , this is the first money I've had to spend on it and she still likes the car .

Hi Wongl

How do get the 10% discount you mention?

Hi Wongl

How do get the 10% discount you mention?
Some MB dealership will give 10% discount simply by asking, others will require a mention of certain membership etc.

The best MB dealership for me was MB Redhill (now closed for several years) because they initially gave me 10% discount on all parts, even during service with them, later changing to 20% due to an error on their part. Luckily for me the 20% became the norm and for several years I enjoyed 20% discounts on all MB parts right up to when they closed.

Thank you all. New Mercedes battery fitted and all is well again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom