battery warning light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ROBO

Help,
I have a e270 cdi '2003'. Some time ago I started to get a message in the speedo display along the lines of "convienience settings withheld due to battery condition" I considered that this was as a result of short trips and all the electric gizmo's, I also took into account, according to the forum, that mercedes were generally greedy on the electricity even whilst not in use.
Utilising the secret computor, it showed that the alternator was working fine (as it shows now). A week or so ago I went to start the vehicle after it had been stood for a couple of days to find a red battery sign in the middle of the disaplay with "visit workshops" shown underneath. I changed the exsisting battery for another charged Mercedes battery which I had sourced, started that car and the same battery sign was shown. The warning light turns of by pressing the trip reset, but illuminates normaly the following day.
Having a Mercedes recall on my vehicle I requested that they check the battery and preform a diagnostic check. They updated me that the battery was good condition and that the diagnostic check showed all to be O.K. and that 'warning codes' had been removed from the on board computor. For the privelage they charged half an hours labour.
I had no issues for two days and then 'hey presto' the warning light is on again.
I have booked it in to the dealers on thursday, however when I asked them if it is safe to drive, the reply was "it should be O.K. on short journeys but we won't take any liability for it".
If anyone out there has any ideas or comments I would be gratefull
confused.gif

Robo

Isn't there a battery software upgrade.

You possibly have something not shutting down on switch off, does the car have Comand, if so that is the most likely culprit.

i agree with dieselman. get them to upgrade the battery control module software

or just has a weak battery and the replacement is also weak, you suggest the replacement is not new?

Battery at 4 years could be coming to the end of its useful life, the consumer warnings come at a voltage level of 11.75 volt

I dont believe that the battery was brand new however is showing 12.5 volts prior to starting and a charge of 14 volts when the engine is running.
Sorry having been transformed into a Merc lover recently please excuse my ignorance! I presume command is the sat nav / digital computorised read outs in the centre of the speedo, controlled via the stearing wheel controls, in that event yes.
As ever thanks for your thoughts, I will check on thursday about the battery software.
Robo

My command did not turn off all of the time, so that when I started the car I got the same message, on going into the garage when the roof was down I could hear the command fan running the next day.

Since I have fitted my own auto shut off circuit I have had no problems since

Just to let you know, my vehicle was booked into the dealers today. They have had it all day initialy charging the battery (which I could have done overnight at home if they had let me know). Then another diagnostic check late this afternoon. They claim that the problem has been caused by a defective alternator regulator. They have kept the vehicle ordering a replacement overnight. They initial quote for the work was £220. but when I told them I thought it was a bit steep, quoted £150.
I am not convinced at their diagnosis - would be interested to see your views.
Cheers

ROBO

Thanks for that dieselman, gives me a little confidence, i will update as and when.
Hope it solves the problem.

Is a re-call on the V6 and V8's.

The Battery control unit is also a faverourite.

(it is unbelievable that the 211 is so over complicated they have to fit a bl00dy battery control unit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom