Battery warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My car sent me an email when the battery got low. When I returned it flashed up a message on the dash to start the engine.

It would be interesting to know what the remote vehicle monitoring on the Mercedes me app reports in these circumstances. I haven't left mine parked for longer than a couple of weeks, at which point it shows a "partly charged" status, as opposed to the normal "fully charged". I don't know what happens if it goes below that state.

It gives a warning of..............."Starter Battery Critical" and instructs you to start the engine and go for a drive to recharge the battery.

Its possible that your particular car has an abnormal parasistic drain on parking up due to one of the many onboard systems not shutting down properly. Something that goes unnoticed during normal overnight parking as with a healthy battery the alternator is always there to make up the deficit the next day? There are so many hidden systems that its impossible to check without the right test equipment but there will be an expected/acceptable/ normal drain range they can check on complete shut down. Its a possibility you could challenge them with but they will probably fall back on their 4 week unused getout clause. Usually they would charge for such a specific customer request for a diagnostic even under warranty without evidence of a fault - said charge normally to be waived if a fault is actually found. You would still need a new battery for this test and you might just end up spending more money with no result. Might be worth a try- you can only ask if they can check for this possibility?
That is an interesting thought. I previously had mercedes C class 220d estate for over 4 years with very similar specs including the stop/start function and never had a problem with the battery or any functions when left parked for up to 4 weeks . I suppose that is why I took it for granted that the GLC would perform in the same way. I am waiting for mercedes to get back to me and if their response is negative I certainly will request further diagnostic tests.
Many thanks again paulgmerc

It gives a warning of..............."Starter Battery Critical" and instructs you to start the engine and go for a drive to recharge the battery.
Thank you. I wonder whether, if the OP can show that he never received a battery low warning message, it would help make the case that the parking period was not the cause of the fault.

How do Mercedes deal with this in the supply and delivery chain? Car will inevitably stand for extended periods between leaving the factory and being sold?
They probably have the guys at the port hit the battery with a massive boost just before driving it on/off the ship...there by invalidating their own warranty ! :p

Thank you. I wonder whether, if the OP can show that he never received a battery low warning message, it would help make the case that the parking period was not the cause of the fault.
Hi, never received any battery low warning messages,not had any problems starting even after 4 week non use,has always started first touch of button.Only problem has been with eco stop/start function not working.That did not really bother me but as car is still under warranty thought I would get it checked out only to be advised that the cause was a faulty battery caused by 4 week non use earlier in the year. Therefor the warranty was invalidated and quoted over £200 to replace. The car is still functioning ok but obviously am now worried that I might get caught out especially with the onset of winter.I intend to ask mercedes for a full diagnostic report on the battery.
Cheers paulgmerc

How do they know it was not used for a month?

My car sent me an email when the battery got low. When I returned it flashed up a message on the dash to start the engine.
Never had any warning messages .Just mercedes telling me had a battery fault causing the eco stop/start function not to work.
Cheers paulgmerc

How do they know it was not used for a month?
Very clever, before telling me I had a faulty battery they asked if I had not used the car for a lengthy period of time
and me in my usual naieve honest way answered no, only when going on holiday for 4 weeks. Then informed me had faulty battery and warranty was invalidated for non use of 4 weeks. Shock and horror.
Cheers paulgmerc

They probably have the guys at the port hit the battery with a massive boost just before driving it on/off the ship...there by invalidating their own warranty ! :p
Good point, will raise that in future correspondence with mercedes,
Thanks paulgmerc

How do I check battery status on mercedes me app?
paulgmerc
Assuming you have enabled remote vehicle monitoring, when you go to the Home screen for your vehicle just scroll across where it shows Range, vehicle locked etc.

Hi, never received any battery low warning messages,not had any problems starting even after 4 week non use,has always started first touch of button.Only problem has been with eco stop/start function not working.That did not really bother me but as car is still under warranty thought I would get it checked out only to be advised that the cause was a faulty battery caused by 4 week non use earlier in the year. Therefor the warranty was invalidated and quoted over £200 to replace. The car is still functioning ok but obviously am now worried that I might get caught out especially with the onset of winter.I intend to ask mercedes for a full diagnostic report on the battery.
Cheers paulgmerc

Thank you. I understand that. The suggestion I was making was that if the battery had been damaged by being left for a long time, it would have been because that resulted in it being deeply discharged. If you did not get any warning that cannot have occurred and so you should be able to argue that there must be some other fault. Whether you can make any headway with the argument is another matter, of course. BTW I assume we are talking about the main and not the auxiliary battery (assuming you have the latter).

Thank you that is an excellent observation .I will certainly argue that point.
Cheers paulgmerc

Is it "reasonable" that not using a fairly new car for 4 weeks renders a battery "faulty" ?

I don't believe it should and I'd be pointing this out to them.
If they dont agree get it repaired, pay the bill then write and formally request your money back.
If they refuse then I'd small claims court it and let them decide.

As posted Halfords cannot be faulted for exchanging a battery that has died,I bought a part finished kit car it had been in a garage for about two years when I bought it,amongst the paper work was a reciept for the battery which said it had a 3 year guarantee ran out in a month,of course the battery was dead so took it back they tested it and gave me a new battery of course no extension of the guarantee :rolleyes:

Halfords replaces a battery under warranty for me, it was their own-brand battery, but they insisted on seeing the original invoice.

Is it "reasonable" that not using a fairly new car for 4 weeks renders a battery "faulty" ?

I don't believe it should and I'd be pointing this out to them.
If they dont agree get it repaired, pay the bill then write and formally request your money back.
If they refuse then I'd small claims court it and let them decide.
Advice taken on board .Thanks paulgmerc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom