Battery : What are your experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Youngseal

Car
R129 Mercedes SL280 1994 AND W124 Mercedes E200 1995
I would be interested to hear of owners of R129 Sls experience of battery ratings. I have noticed that the more accessories that are switched on the more likely one is to experience intermittant faults occuring!

Might this be the first sign of a fault developing in an alternator?

What should the battery be rated at?

Are there better batteries then others in peoples experiences?

:confused:

Dont buy 'Energizer' they dont even last the warranty out.

I replaced my R129 Battery with a decent high spec one with a 4 year warranty from a Vauxhall main dealer. I have a "trade club" account because my firm has a fleet of Astras.
The battery was higher rated than the Merc original and cost me a massive £43 (reduced from £90) - this was 5 or 6 years ago and its still fine despite the fact I dont use the SL as often as I should.

I bought a vauxhall battery last year, half price compared to halfords,motorworld etc.

You won't be let down by a Bosch Silver, available at very keen prices from GSF and Costco (in Ireland yet?) or no doubt from equivalent outlets in Ireland. They will tell you the rating (100 Ah? Possibly less. Don't go over or under the recommended number.)

Costco...nope, great in the States but alas not on these shores yet. Bosch seems to have a good rating amongst threaders and others have mentioned VARTA. If the VARTA solution is anything like their consumer product batteries I think I will give them a miss. Opel I presume are the counterpart of Vauxhal, I might try their selection.

I was treated to the Lexus experience this Weekend, having had a loan of an LS430 to do a few city drives and a long country drive. I must say I am impressed with the comfort, drivability, accessories, the lot actually. That said there is nothing like an open road, topdown, foot to the floor SL experience in good weather. If you think however that Merc parts are expensive, try replacing a Xenarc bulb on a Lexus...€350 a pop and the stealer was looking for €150 to fit the single bulb!!!

Well tommorrow I will be looking for a cheaper option to the Xenarc bulb and I will attempt a battery purchase for the SL280 to see if it improves matters, thanks for the responses.:thumb:

A maintenance charger keeps the battery in my SL in good condition as it's not a daily driver.

Bosch batteries are great...

I tend to use MB batteries in all my cars now due to the fact i get them at massively discounted rate..

I have found (in the past) that the expensive "sealed for life" Halfords ones are good and reliable. Always go for one rated higher than the original if possible.
I have yet to replace the one on my MB.

Last edited:
I am led to believe that the same batteries MB use in passenger cars are available in the commercial vehicles and they are much cheaper from the "van centre" outlets than a stealership parts desk. Worth investigating although I haven't, yet!

I am led to believe that the same batteries MB use in passenger cars are available in the commercial vehicles and they are much cheaper from the "van centre" outlets than a stealership parts desk. Worth investigating although I haven't, yet!
You beat me to it.

Flash was the first to comment about this and said there were significant savings to be made

"Always go for one rated higher than the original if possible."

Why?

Simply put, additional capacity.

Battery will last longer if you leave your lights/fridge/doors open.

It's a bit like when you buy your car. Do you really need the extra power of a 2.7 over a 2.2? No, but when you want it you're glad you did.

And you will not damage anything by specifying a higher capacity battery.

Uprated battery is a factory option on some M-Bs. I specced it on our Vito - 100 Ah.

Uprated battery is a factory option on some M-Bs. I specced it on our Vito - 100 Ah.
The data card for my car claims to have high-cap battery and alternator and I believe these were standard if you had things like aircon.

Many thanks for the input to date, it seems a general consensus that a 100Ah is a good idea, jump starting is a very bad idea as it leads to fault codes and blown electronic modules, trickle chargers ensure cars that arent driven daily remain charged and ready to go, and in the states people even add surge protection.

Any chance someone has insights to the below portion of the question?

I would be interested to hear of owners of R129 Sls experience of battery ratings. I have noticed that the more accessories that are switched on the more likely one is to experience intermittant faults occuring!

Might this be the first sign of a fault developing in an alternator?

:confused:

Battery Update

Ok I fitted a new 100Ah battery yesterday and I can notice a better crank but thats about it really, unless the windows winding up a little more sprightly without the engine on can be atributed to ths €117 spend...

So its back to the drawing board with the wipers issue. I have taken the N10/2 relay out and cleaned it but I still cant find the related relays that have been mentioned to me, Any advice would be appreciated.

The battery didnt quite fit either, even after the Idie measured for the correct one.

What are the dimensions for an R129 SL280 1994 model battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom