BBC F1 Coverage 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyz

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
ClK 209,190E 201,SLK 170(gone) audi tt vr6 3.2
Suzi Perry of Moto GP fame will take Jakes position as commentator,
Speaking about her new job, Perry said: "Motorsport is my life and I've really missed being away from the grid. I am so excited to be joining the BBC.
"Working alongside such an eminent team and the F1 world is a huge honour and I can't wait to get started."
The BBC has also confirmed the 10 races that it will be showing live next year.
They are China, Spain, Canada, Britain, Belgium, Italy, Japan, India and Brazil - plus whichever race is slotted in to the July 21 gap.
It means the BBC will not show live the opening two races of the season in Australia and Malaysia, nor the blue riband event in Monaco.

SKY's coverage last year was just great. I'm quite happy to pay to watch all these live, it really is the only TV I watch with any regularity.

Jake's a hard act to follow.

It means the BBC will not show live the opening two races of the season in Australia and Malaysia, nor the blue riband event in Monaco.

Don't care anymore.

Originally hated the whole idea of highlights and live races. But discovered I prefer the highlights and can't be bothered watching the races live. TBH no disrespect to Suzi Perry and Lee Mackenzie - but the BBC should just ditch the live races and just show highlights with no preamble and no F1 forum or post race of more than 5 minutes - just stick with the race highlights plus Coulthard and Edwards commentary and leave it at that.

Also Monaco isn't racing, it's the one race I could happily not bother to watch each year.

Suzi Perry??? :dk:

What happened to Lee McKenzie? :D

Suzi Perry was great on MotoGP, I wondered what was happening since they are now down to two presenters on Gadget Show, so I hope she does as good a job linking as Jake did. Dissapointed that yet again we don't get to see all the races, but there is no way I'm doing anything to support Sky.

Never been keen on Suzi Perry, I always get the impression she's rather fond of herself.

I would never pay through the nose for Sky, fortunately i'm lucky enough someone lends me their account login so I can watch it on the net. The coverage isn't bad, Brundle is still the biggest draw, but the whole Anthony Davdson and Georgie Thompson standing in front of a giant replay screen is just embarassing though.

Given the choice i'd still watch on BBC, this year i thought Gary Anderson was a revelation. I've found it really interesting getting the sort of technical insight he brings, his articles on the BBC website as well have been top drawer.
I do wish DC would learn how to ad-lib during his gridwalks, if hes not asking one of his generic bland questions the silence can be deafening !
I agree they should have given Lee McKenzie a chance, she could easy have grown into the role of main presenter with Eddie and DC to back her up.

Last edited:
Suzi Perry??? :dk:

What happened to Lee McKenzie? :D

This Suzy Perry?

SuziPerry2.jpg

Also Monaco isn't racing, it's the one race I could happily not bother to watch each year.
My exact thoughts although I do prefer BBC Highlights to SKY coverage the BBC just need to get rid of DC.

I really warmed to SKY's coverage (actually very quickly, within a couple of races), I normally pick at least 3 events that I will attend and the rest I try to watch qualifying and the race live regardless of the time broadcast. I was a little surprised that the BBC did not push McKenzie more into the limelight as she seemed to do well whenever she filled in.

Last edited:
I'll be watching live on sky, Suzi Perry may be easy on the eye but her presenting skills are non existent and the reason i stopped watching Motogp.

Another own goal by the BBC :doh:

She took her wings to the bingo - where they belong :)

Unworthy remark surely. :( Thought Lee McKenzie made a reasonable stab at anchor with David Coultard on a couple of occasions last year.:thumb: She had also built up a reasonable rapport with most of the F1 drivers even Michael Schumacher:eek: - who gave her grudging respect after she thrashed him at that charity horse riding thing.;) She often had the unenviable task of coaxing a statement out of guys who had just made a complete *rse of some manoeuvre and put themselves and frequently others out of the race. They seemed to like her? well as much as any Motoring/TV journo .:rolleyes: While Suzi's style went down well with the somewhat Banzai attitude of the Moto GP guys it will be interesting to see if it translates to Formula 1 guys who tend to be a bit more --- how shall I put this---- an*l!:rolleyes:

the BBC should just ditch the live races and just show highlights with no preamble and no F1 forum or post race of more than 5 minutes /QUOTE]

Nope!
The race should be shown in entirety. Highlights give no feel of the race - only the incidents, like a Hollywood movie trailer.

The highlights never show a driver banging in ten plus laps on his own within hundredths of a second of each other - real skill. And how races are frequently won. Highlights show more of the drivers banging into each other - no skill. And how races are lost!

Agree that Perry is 'one of the lads' and was regularly seen out on the lash till the early hours with the Bikers.

I think she'll struggle to get any real respect from the F1 circus, something that Lee McKenzie had in spades.

Yes Perry has a better body but so do all the Pit Pussey!

McKenzie ozzes sex appeal in the way Nigella Lawson does and along with her undoubted knowledge and rapport with the F1 circus was the best choice by far.

The highlights never show a driver banging in ten plus laps on his own within hundredths of a second of each other - real skill. And how races are frequently won. Highlights show more of the drivers banging into each other - no skill. And how races are lost!

Like there's so much happening in the average F1 race? Not really.

These days they have to husband the tyres so much not a lot happens. Couple of banzai attacks on the driver in front and the car behind is stuck because the tyres are either degraded or flat spotted.

I thought the highlight package would be a a disaster. But the races are generally about 90 to 100 minutes. 60 minutes of highlights? Actually that's most of the race not just a few snippets. And the editors were quite good at stitching them together. I really really don't miss the full race.

And if the race is live - it's not as if the broadcast captures everything as it happens. You don't get to watch every duel. You're basically still seeing highlights of a sort.

Can't say I'm too fussed who fronts/hosts the programme as long as there is expert commentary and punditry from the likes of DC and Eddie Jordan. For the fully BBC-covered races, I tend to wait until they're finished then watch my recording, skipping most of the preamble and running at x4 speed for much of the race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom