BBC pay....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend of mine whom directs and produces some shows for national TV abroad once told me.

"The BBC, is education for every other media outlet. There is nothing like it and working for it would be a dream for every news journalist/documentary producer/interviewer/comedian/ etc etc."

I second that. I think is not a just a national treasure. Its a world treasure and I happily pay my licence fee towards it

I'd agree with that. I mainly watch BBC1 and BBC2. Mainly listen to Radio 4 and Radio 5 Live. Er indoors also like BBC2. Kids like Cebeebies and CBBC Internet news is BBC too. The only time we venture out of BBC-land is for the odd Occasional foray in ITV or C4.

I am currently a Sky subscriber (locked in for 12 months as part of a complicated house move) and I watch precisely zero Sky output.

That may change (so I can see some of the televised QPR matches this season). But even then I'll try to do it via Virgin or BT f I can.

Which just about sums it up for me, anyway; the only point of Sky is Premier League football.

I've got to say for £145 a year it's damn good value in my book if you use it to the maximum.

I can't remember the last time that I watched something on ITV for example because all it seems to be is totally inane celebrity crap. Sure the repeats are a bit of a pain sometimes but all channels do that. The BBC always have something worth watching or recording and other than the absence of live football or test cricket I can't complain really. Then BBC radio is great and you don't even need a licence for that! Lastly, its website and BBC iplayer is fantastic- again all for free!

If I have one complaint, it is that while I agree with and love the absence of adverts on the Beeb, I think that they are missing a trick on revenue. What would be the harm if programmes carried a commercial sponsorship at the beginning and end of a show. I can see no objection at all to that other than pure BBC dogma to rejecting this revenue stream that would help peg the licence fee or even lower it.

If I have one complaint, it is that while I agree with and love the absence of adverts on the Beeb, I think that they are missing a trick on revenue. What would be the harm if programmes carried a commercial sponsorship at the beginning and end of a show. I can see no objection at all to that other than pure BBC dogma to rejecting this revenue stream that would help peg the licence fee or even lower it.

The main objection is that it would potentially undermine editorial independence. Even with dramas, if they were sponsored by a commercial company that company would probably want to have some influence over the content; it's a slippery slope.

When I was in Munich recently I watched BBC World (which is basically a rolling news channel) in my hotel room one evening, as was irked to find that it played a couple of commercials (not BBC trailers) every half hour or so. BBC content on YouTube also carries commercial advertising, which just seems wrong somehow.

I love the BBC, one of the world's great cultural organisations. The Proms alone are worth the licence fee. However, all good organisations need criticism and feedback, and my simple gripe is the sheer amount of awful filler on TV. Abolish BBC3, spend all the money currently devoted to trash antiques, gardening, home improvements, Eastenders, BBC 3 etc and turn BBC4 into a powerhouse of Arts and history (preferably just Wagner) and you'd get no complaints from me.

I also have SKy for the cricket, which they do quite magnificently.

What I find ironic is the same people that whinge about this country losing it's 'identity', then want rid of something quintessentially British; the BBC!

Abolish BBC3, spend all the money currently devoted to trash antiques, gardening, home improvements, Eastenders, BBC 3 etc and turn BBC4 into a powerhouse of Arts and history (preferably just Wagner) and you'd get no complaints from me.

I'm not sure that the 8.5 million Eastenders viewers who'd just lost their favourite programme would see Wagner as a suitable replacement.......

F1 on BBC
F1 on ITV

It's a no-brainer really and all down to the lack of adverts.

Beeb licence fee? Best £145 I pay out all year. Phenomenal value. How do they do it? Tell me you don't like paying bills but don't tell me that this isn't the best value of everything we buy, bar none. It would be cheap at twice the price IMHO. I'll say no more, it's all been said by previous posters...

and turn BBC4 into a powerhouse of Arts and history (preferably just Wagner) and you'd get no complaints from me.

I must admit, I was a fan of Hart to Hart back in the 80's too (Max the butler always cracked me up.. :D) and I can see the Mercedes connection as they drove an R107 - but really that makes it a bit of a niche channel IMHO. Surely there should be more variety for the licence payers' pound?

Cheers,

Gaz

Sod - I have had a rethink and thought about it last night.

Kids do indeed enjoy CBBC.

Plus I had a think about what I watched and that of my wife.

It accounts for a 100% of kids TV consumption.

And probably 30% of ours.

On reflection and having read the posts in the tread I'll do a U-turn - from me on balance its good value!

I think stars like Graham Norton are worth every penny of the licen----------- hang on I haven't taken my medication today------! ;)

I get the Mail as I have often said on here.

So specifically which newspaper should I read/glimpse through instead of the Mail and why.

Yes, and i'm not surprised you listen to Talksport, do you get the Mail as well?

I listen to Talksport as I like the chat when in the car - whats you beef with TalkSport?

I listen to Radio 4 as I like their news in the car.

How exactly are TalkSport and The Mail connected - they are totally different media agendas and platforms.

Unless you uncover your own news (which would be nigh on impossible) you have to listen to / read something.

Unless you uncover your own news (which would be nigh on impossible) you have to listen to / read something.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, i'm just of the opinion that the Mail is just a sabre-rattler for all the middle-aged people out there that thinks the world and his mate is out to get them, you know the anti-gay, blown out of all proportion immigration stories, the critique of anything that's not middle England etc. etc.

Whilst Talksport seems to exist to extract as much money from its listeners via phone-ins; by getting the presenters to be confrontational and expressing extreme opinions, then watching the numpties phone up, entertaining and stupid at the same time.

Personally i read the news internet sites to get a broad opinion of what's happening, i don't think it makes me any more informed or better than anyone else out there (except the Mail and Talksport fans obviously ;))

Personally i read the news internet sites to get a broad opinion of what's happening, i don't think it makes me any more informed or better than anyone else out there (except the Mail and Talksport fans obviously ;))

:devil: So come on being more informed, not middle aged and better than me:cool: What news internet sites gives you this young, informed better broad brush of understanding?:p

I really want to get into this young informed scene.

:devil: So come on being more informed, not middle aged and better than me:cool: What news internet sites gives you this young, informed better broad brush of understanding?:p

I really want to get into this young informed scene.

I'd start with the obvious and John Craven on BBC Newsround and then progress to Smash Hits for the most reliable info. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom