BBC rerun of Aus F1 - what a poor quality program !!!...Shame on you BBC !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vijilants

MB Enthusiast
Car
W205 C43 AMG
I have been following F1 for many many years and when I it was going back to the BBC I was glad for one reason - the annoying commercial breaks on ITV.

Today I am watching the rerun of the Aus F1, and what a truly poor program.

It started of with literally no lead in whatsoever. Literally no mention of qualifying and what happened, the covers were off within the first 5 min of the program and they were off !!!!

Considering that this was the first race of the season, nothing on the new rules...no info at all, no driver interviews, nothing !

The new commentator is absolutely rubbish....he commentated the start like he was commentating a horse race and he was useless for the rest of the race.....absolutely no life in the guy for the rest of the race, and to be honest just blabbering.

Even Martin Brundle doesn't sound very happy any more.

I truly hope that things change in the way they handle this as I don't think the deserve to air these races if this is the way they intend to do it.

They have not even attempted to match the quality of the ITV program.

Last edited:
Just the same with the Horse Racing.

They have cut down the coverage year on year and are not interested.
At some meetings that they can be bothered to cover the have "canned clipity clop sounds" during the race.

You must understand that:

If you can't phone vote on a programme, the once peerless British Broadcasting Corporation doesn't give a flying f*c* about you!

Celebrity Come Dancing and that sort of revenue raising dross is all that matters now :mad:

yes, I agree mostly, there seams no flow to the program, no fizz etc. don't like that Humphy dude.
MBlundle did seam subdued as well.

5/10.

Good racing at start and end though.

Yeah felt the introduction etc was a bit lacking. Was the 5am programme any better? With the introduction of kers (making the cars hybrids essentially) you think they could have made more of this, the thinking behind it and the technologies (flywheels vs batteries etc).

Had to say the result (apart from Lewis Hamilton) wasn't surprising given the strength of the Brawn cars in qualification

Just the same with the Horse Racing.

They have cut down the coverage year on year and are not interested.
At some meetings that they can be bothered to cover the have "canned clipity clop sounds" during the race.

You must understand that:

If you can't phone vote on a programme, the once peerless British Broadcasting Corporation doesn't give a flying f*c* about you!

Celebrity Come Dancing and that sort of revenue raising dross is all that matters now :mad:

I phoned in and voted for Lewis Hamilton ...he came 4th so did my vote count?

As the afternoon re-run was a 2 hour programme covering a 2 hour race, what length lead in did you expect? The live 6am programme was for 3 hours which gave all the info you missed.

As the afternoon re-run was a 2 hour programme covering a 2 hour race, what length lead in did you expect? The live 6am programme was for 3 hours which gave all the info you missed.

I expected at least the same quality of program that ITV laid on for the reruns last year.

You can't tell me that this was of the same standard ???

Furthermore this is the first race of the season and its the first race that the BBC have had since they took over, so why not a bit more effort ?

More people watch the rerun due to the time difference in UK so there should be a bit more to it than covers off and race.

I watched the early program when I got up as I had recorded it. The commentary at the start was particularly poor. The new commentator talked all over Brundle even in the qualifying session, maybe this is why he seemed subdued. I found the graphics that showed the race order garbage as well. I guess you don't appreciate what you have till it changes. I always thought the ITV coverage was pretty good.

Not too impressed at the moment but prepared to give the new presenters the opportunity to settle into their routine. Another race next week so not too long to wait.

I'm just thankful that I didn't have to listen to James Allen prattle on this time.

I expected at least the same quality of program that ITV laid on for the reruns last year.

You can't tell me that this was of the same standard ???

Furthermore this is the first race of the season and its the first race that the BBC have had since they took over, so why not a bit more effort ?

More people watch the rerun due to the time difference in UK so there should be a bit more to it than covers off and race.

I was not referring to the standard of the programme, which I agree was not up to what was expected from the BBC. Just that of your expectation of the programmes content over the actual race itself.

However, being a new team perhaps a few more races will see a big improvement as they all settle into their roles.

The live race was well presented IMHO, with the one-hour lead in and then a further hour of discussion by hitting the red button, so four hours in total.

To be fair, the people most interested in the first hour will get up to watch the race live, and the majority of those who enjoy it but are not interested enough to get up at 0600 won't miss it too much. If they do, then they can get up early next time.

I thought the lad off Blue Peter did well too.

ITV was better.

I didn't have any complaints at 6am. it was fine.

EJ seems a waste.

I am surprised by people thinking ITV did a better job however! How? Ad breaks spolit the race, Allen really was useless, they dumbed down the sport and the questions and in the build up and the after race nonsense they rattled on about the competition they always ran, or the football next.

There was none of that.

I didn't notice a problem with the commentary, they seemed quite good together.

each to their own I assume.

I am sorry. what were you watching? it was 20 times better than ITV by far.

ITV was a joke. the only thing good about it was its opening song.

Last edited:
No adverts is more than a price worth paying I suppose. I suppose the TV licence fee is worth an uninterupted race.

Still would have liked more from the PM show though, Eastenders (again a re run) can wait another 30-60mins.

All the introduction to the new season was in the qualification live show yesterday.

Don't know what the obsession about adverts are. At least you won't know what you're missing when you get up to pee/get food/etc.

Reluctantly I am forced to agree that the ITV lot with all their failings were better. The adverts were annoying I agree but what the BBC programme ( I just watched the 2 hour rerun) lacked was any sense of occasion. :confused: To me there was no excitement no sense of involvement somehow. Many of the presenters seemed to lack any enthusiasm for, or true interest in the sport. :eek: It came across as just another day at the F1 office.:eek: The only time it was vaguely involving was at the end with Button and Barrichelos' obvious delight at the teams win. Maybe the live program was better and the new BBC team are just settling in but they will definitely have to "up their game" in the future.:(

I thought it was fine overall - maybe after time we will all settle to it. Who's the main race commentator? Must be famousish...

I am liking EJ though, how soon before DC belts him one?

Also, the new commentator Jonathan Legard - I am loving his gentle sarcasm, he was already wasted on R5. Brundle however does seem out of sorts, perhaps all not comfortable with him?

I don't mind the uni-kid presenter, not bad to look at :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom