BCA Auction Boomerang for Sale at Arnold C. Clark's Mysterious World.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I have alerts for Audi Avant 3.0 BiTDi's on my BCA Account and check almost daily.
I also visit Auto Trader on a daily basis and also ebay.
One soon gets to know the cars for sale and their prices, etc.

The A6 Avant in the Auto Trader advert below (I wasn't interested) took around 2 months to sell, at auction and was last seen at BCA around 3 months ago.

LINK.

IIRC it was moved around the BCA auction houses to try and shift it, but it just would sell.

On the mechanicals report, every box was green-ticked with the exception of the engine, that had a red X.

Given that a lot of traders and those with a sound mechanical knowledge visit the auction houses and bid online, the engine problem must have been a stinker for the car not to sell at different sites for such a long time.

Perhaps Arnold Clark bought it, or perhaps took it in part exchange, but knowing what I know, it's not a car I would trust without a clear explanation of what the engine problem was.

Some poor sausage is going to buy it. It's cheap!

Last edited:
Surely if it's bought from AC and it's not correct the buyer can then ask them to put it right or at worse get their cash back?

Reactions: 219
I remember the 3.0 BiTdi engines can have issues which apparantly the single turbo V6 TDIs don't suffer from, can't remember what it is now though!, it was irrelevant for me in the end as I went for an A5 and you can't get the BiTDI in it, must be a great engine though-if it's not broken.

Surely if it's bought from AC and it's not correct the buyer can then ask them to put it right or at worse get their cash back?

Yes, of course if the problem rears its head within the 3 months, or more warranty period,

I'm guessing wildly that the fault may have been DPF related which at a guess would cost circa £1500 - £2000?
Perhaps someone bought it thinking they could fix it and maybe got it to regenerate within a limited range and chopped it in.
It might not have a DPF any more!
The car was offered buy it now (not always an option offered) for £13,000. Add cost of DPF or major engine repair and you lose.

BCA operate a policy of return within 500 miles of purchase for major mechanical faults.
I guess that either nobody bought it or did so and returned it to BCA.

If I was passing that AC dealership, I'd love to have a shufty and ask a few questions.

I remember the 3.0 BiTdi engines can have issues which apparantly the single turbo V6 TDIs don't suffer from, can't remember what it is now though!, it was irrelevant for me in the end as I went for an A5 and you can't get the BiTDI in it, must be a great engine though-if it's not broken.

I had a 3.0 single turbo TDI A6 Avant and had no problems whatsoever. I sold it to a mate and it is still going strong at circa 140,000.

My current 3.0 twin turbo Bi TDI did have the turbo actuator replaced at around 117,000 and is as good as it ever has been.
Cost around £450 from a good German car indy for genuine part and labour.
Apparently Audi do not offer actuator replacement. They prefer to try and sell you a couple of turbos for around £5,500.

Is this the one with the electric turbo?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Good call on the DPF, some horror stories out there to get these repaired.

How is that cheap?

It’s a 12 plate with 70k miles! I’ve seen 12 plates with 30k more miles up for 7k (nearly half that)! :)

Good call on the DPF, some horror stories out there to get these repaired.

I love the 2012 Bi Turbo I have and I have been looking for a later model.
However, I wouldn't want a low mileage pootler.

It would appear the variable vane main turbo is electrically actuated and this is the part item 43 that goes wrong if I got the right model?
product_79008.jpg

14557.png

I had a 3.0 single turbo TDI A6 Avant and had no problems whatsoever. I sold it to a mate and it is still going strong at circa 140,000.

My current 3.0 twin turbo Bi TDI did have the turbo actuator replaced at around 117,000 and is as good as it ever has been.
Cost around £450 from a good German car indy for genuine part and labour.
Apparently Audi do not offer actuator replacement. They prefer to try and sell you a couple of turbos for around £5,500.

Only thing I slightly worry about is S-Tronic issues but as long as you service them on time they seem ok (now touching lots of wood)
I can't remember what I heard on the BiTdis think it might have been turbo issues.

Just looked up and seems it's to do with the engine block:
Audi A7 Sportback (2011)

The 245 BHP single turbo is fast, the bi turbo must be pretty epic, especially for a diesel.
I was looking at getting an A7 but went for an A5 in the end.
If I were you I'd be more worried about the Range Rover imploding than the Audi though, speaking from experience there!.

It would appear the variable vane main turbo is electrically actuated and this is the part item 43 that goes wrong if I got the right model?
product_79008.jpg

14557.png

Yes, I'm reasonably sure that's the part I had replaced.
Other than making a bigger invoice, I'm not sure why Audi don't offer to replace just the actuator.

Only thing I slightly worry about is S-Tronic issues but as long as you service them on time they seem ok (now touching lots of wood)
I can't remember what I heard on the BiTdis think it might have been turbo issues.

Just looked up and seems it's to do with the engine block:
Audi A7 Sportback (2011)

The 245 BHP single turbo is fast, the bi turbo must be pretty epic, especially for a diesel.
I was looking at getting an A7 but went for an A5 in the end.
If I were you I'd be more worried about the Range Rover imploding than the Audi though, speaking from experience there!.

The gearbox on the Honest John link had the classic killer mistake of the wrong fluid.
The ZF boxes are fantastic, but some people through ignorance or penny pinching will use alternative "same spec" fluid.
I had this with my Range Rover.
The gearbox was perfect, but I had the box oil changed as good practice maintenance.
Incorrect fluid applied and the 2 to 1 change was clunky.
I took it to another garage and even though I said to use Lifeguard 6 fluid, the used a Maxxol fluid with the same spec!
I bought around 20 Litres of Lifeguard 6, made them change what they could and then did several other changes straight away myself with the remaining 15 litres and new filter.

I couldn't have done it without this excellent video from ZF.

Gearbox was soon back to its beautiful seamless operation.

The above problem wasn't the fault of the Range Rover, it was the result of and indy not knowing what they were doing.

Apart form that, I have had very little wrong with the car in almost 5 years. I'm luck to own it.

The gearbox on the Honest John link had the classic killer mistake of the wrong fluid.
The ZF boxes are fantastic, but some people through ignorance or penny pinching will use alternative "same spec" fluid.
I had this with my Range Rover.
The gearbox was perfect, but I had the box oil changed as good practice maintenance.
Incorrect fluid applied and the 2 to 1 change was clunky.
I took it to another garage and even though I said to use Lifeguard 6 fluid, the used a Maxxol fluid with the same spec!
I bought around 20 Litres of Lifeguard 6, made them change what they could and then did several other changes straight away myself with the remaining 15 litres and new filter.

I couldn't have done it without this excellent video from ZF.

Gearbox was soon back to its beautiful seamless operation.

The above problem wasn't the fault of the Range Rover, it was the result of and indy not knowing what they were doing.

Apart form that, I have had very little wrong with the car in almost 5 years. I'm luck to own it.

The thing with the S Tronics is there's such conflicting information out there, even some Audi dealerships say it's sealed for life others say every 36k, think the latter is more appropiate to be honest.

With the Range Rovers I had a couple of L322 Vogues which were pretty trouble free apart from a coolant hose, a dodgy headlight unit and the typical air suspension compressor!.

I then had a 2.7 Sport that was nothing but trouble, including the gearbox, think the ZF6HP in the 2.7 doesn't have as strong internals as the Supercharged and TDV8, but that and various other expensive issues with it have put me off owning another unfortunately, had a Landcruiser after it which never had a single issue, although I admit wasn't quite as nice to drive.

How is that cheap?

It’s a 12 plate with 70k miles! I’ve seen 12 plates with 30k more miles up for 7k (nearly half that)! :)

Here's a 12 plate with on auto Trader. Similar mileage, just short of £16.000 LINK.

13 plate with the same mileage and he has just reduced it by £1000 LINK.

A four owner 12 plate with 30,000 miles more at £14250. LINK.

The Arnold Clark car is cheap.

Here's a 12 plate with on auto Trader. Similar mileage, just short of £16.000 LINK.

13 plate with the same mileage and he has just reduced it by £1000 LINK.

A four owner 12 plate with 30,000 miles more at £14250. LINK.

The Arnold Clark car is cheap.
My apologies I was comparing to 2.0TDI :)

Well, some poor sausage has bought it!
The description by AC tickled me. Silver - four wheel drive - £13,300. :D

On the same Auto Trader listings for the Bi TDi's we have a Dreamer and a budding Jeremy Clarkson, who might justifiably or unjustifiably ruffle a few feathers on here. :)

DREAMER. LINK.

Budding Clarkson. LINK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom