Be careful when welding.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If a recent thread is an indicator then you should also excercise caution when wedding

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the arcticle then checked the brake cleaner we use here just in case. Luckily it doesnt list phosgene on the CoSSH sheet but does contain Naptha of which I can't find any info as to the ingrediants. Guess I better tell the workshop lads not to use it to clean prepped areas.

Read the article then checked the brake cleaner we use here just in case. Luckily it doest list phosgene on the CoSSH sheet but does contain Naptha of which I can't find any info as to the ingredients. Guess I better tell the workshop lads not to use it to clean prepped areas.

Does the brake cleaner have tetracholorthingimajig in it ?

It won't list phosgene as an ingredient.

Other ingredients break down when exposed to high temperatures to form phosgene.

It's the tetrachloroethylene that breaks down - sounds suspiciously like the trichlorethylene we used to use in the early 1970's to clean lab glassware after distilling crude oils (at Uni) which is, I believe, now banned in this country. If that is the case, maybe tetra is also banned.

He has had a lucky escape. typical bloke though he waited until it really really hurt before he went to the doctors.

There's loads of things to be watchfull of when welding, I have had zinc poisoning twice due to welding galvanized steel. First time I was in my workshop, silly really, no exhaust, no air fed helmet etc. The second time, I was welding some galvanized palisade fencing outside in the open, there was a reasonable breeze and still I managed to breath some of the fumes. Simptoms are severe flu like aches and pains, severe sweating, headaches, limbs so painful you cannot get out of bed. Fortunately it only lasts 24/48 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom