Be gentle.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfatjim

Banned
Car
Tractor
Hey guys

My 2nd post (1st was intro.)

I have just bought my first ever Merc although I fancied one for many years. It is (or will be when it gets here) a 1998 C250TD Elegance Estate. It is dead at the moment but that won't stop me! I have bought it silly, silly cheap and as far as I know it has been stood for 2 months after running out of fuel and has a flat battery.

So, on the asumption that nobody has told me any porkies (ie dead pump etc), how easy are these to prime for fuel. I am purely guessing based on my previous experience of diesels, but use a hand bulb pumnp to prime pump then crack open all injectors and turn over until we get fuel. Sound like a plan or am I barking up the wrong tree already?

I will have much more info and ideas once I see the car. I bought it blind but it won't be the first (or last) time I have done that and bagged a bargain. Basically, I can break the car for much more than I paid so cannot lose. That isn't my plan though, I want this for me to use.

MoT'd (just about 2 weeks left) and tax expired last month.

It is a 1998 with 165k on the clock.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I found the model in the end it is a W202 I believe.

Unscrew the filter and fill it full of fuel then refit. Ensure the battery is fully charged then wind the starter in long bursts (40sec) until it fires.

Happy to try that. I would fill the diesel filter anyway, but am a little surprised that cracking the injectors open isn't needed. Not questioning your advise by the way, just always cracked injectors open, turn over until fuel at injector then retighten. I would have thought not cracking them could end up with an airlock/not firing.

I am happy to be corrected though.

All modern-ish diesels are self bleeding. Anything with a return fuel pipe and injector leak off will self bleed.
Even the filter is self bleeding on your car.

Excellent news and advice. I am much obliged for your knowledagble help.

Would I be right in thinking that the 250TD is the 150bhp version and is quite a good engine? ie, reasonable power for the size of teh car and reasonable MPG?

Yes.

the 250td in the w202 is one of the best engines very reliable and a good blend of power vs mpg. Is it an auto?

very good car enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom