Beading rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I applied one coat of Sonax about 4 week ago now and it's still going strong, well impressed with this stuff.
Not washed the car for a while and the beading was not as tight as when I first did it. But after a quick wash with a car shampoo and it's back tight again.
Cheers
Ben :thumb:

Bit of a cheat as this is on the sunroof of my CLS but that's the effect of Gyeon Wetcoat.

79AF3323-A969-49DB-BD75-4E6757B442D0_zpsefcubzb2.jpg

This my car when finished work today. Been over a month now since i applied BSD
This is only one coat and still going strong :thumb:

And my car was the only one on the car park with the bead:rock:

Sonax BSD is actually quite resilient to 99% wiping with alcohol as well.
I applied it to my windscreen and it causes the wipers to judder. But wiping with alcohol does not remove it, which is normal process in car detailing to remove the previous wax coatings from a car as a clean base to re-apply quality wax/coatings.

I washed and waxed my own car this weekend for the first time using demon products not sure if they are rated or not was a gift but here is my pics I was happy for first attempt looked great after. 20160821_081755.jpg20160821_081748.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I washed and waxed my own car this weekend for the first time using demon products not sure if they are rated or not was a gift but here is my pics I was happy for first attempt looked great after.

Looks like some pretty uniform beading and if it's a gift then may as well make use of it.

The test will be in how long the beading lasts really. :thumb:

Sonax BSD is actually quite resilient to 99% wiping with alcohol as well.
I applied it to my windscreen and it causes the wipers to judder. But wiping with alcohol does not remove it, which is normal process in car detailing to remove the previous wax coatings from a car as a clean base to re-apply quality wax/coatings.
Yeah, try and avoid getting it on the windscreen.

I found that rain-x (I used the spray on stuff) stops the wiper judder

Well it's raining today and that's only good for one thing...heading! Haha

Washed the E last night so this is two layers of Collinite 845 and a spray of Gyeon Wetcoat on the last wash, suspect that's gone now though.

DE46CE07-B7EC-4C70-9E23-2F33D42D2124_zpszmqkx13j.jpg

Gave the glass a coat of Rain-X as well. Biggest benefit apart from aiding the wipers is clearing water from the back window.

F943334E-BFF3-4FC6-8B8C-6AF2405CDA80_zpspv9ajff7.jpg

My other half was finding it frustrating that her SL had no rear wiper, she's always has hatched. Coat of Rain-X sorted that.

I'm sure there's better coatings out there but it does the job :)

This is mine with a second coat of Sonax BSD applied

Cheers
I'll have to get myself some of that Rain-X :cool:

Just had a fry up fuel my 6 hour car detailing

Bad for me I know but couldn't help myself.

Gave my wheels a polish with rim wax and sealed with BSD

And cleaned the inside with uncented baby wipes and then I wiped over with Dr Leather

And I'm not sure about this might peel it back off lol took me ages to line it up to haha
Cheers
Ben

Mine beads & I hate it. I was always told that beading was bad, because when the sun come out the beads act like little magnifying glasses & cause the sun to damage the paint. I'm trying to find something that I can use so the rain just runs off.

Just had a fry up fuel my 6 hour car detailing

Cheers
Ben
Looking good - I think you've earned that calorie uptake.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mine beads & I hate it. I was always told that beading was bad, because when the sun come out the beads act like little magnifying glasses & cause the sun to damage the paint. I'm trying to find something that I can use so the rain just runs off.
I think that someone may be talking b0llocks.

A good quality washing up liquid will remove polishes and waxes, then just use a good car shampoo and you'll never have problems with beading :thumb:
I like to see my car bead the rain:cool: I give my car a wash once a week so never really have a problem with the tiny white ish mineral spots I think you mean:confused:
Cheers

Beading is more susceptible to leaving salt rings on the paint surface when the rainwater evaporates. Carnauba waxes tend to produce the biggest beads and hence salt rings are more prevalent, especially on darker coloured cars. To avoid this problem you need to apply protection that sheets the water rather than causing it to form beads.

Norte23 and others seeking a sheeting product would do well to check out the properties of Soft99's Fusso Coat. It is a Japanese PTFE-based sealant available in variants suitable for light and dark coloured paints. Nippon Shine is the importer and it sells for around £20. Here's a link to a video of it in action:

Soft99 Fusso Coat

Other protection products with enhanced sheeting capabilities are Permanon Platinum and CarPro Reload. As always, these product all need to be applied to virgin paint so your current protection will need to be stripped off first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom