Beautiful 1959 300SL Roadster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graeme73s

Car
560SEC, Smart Brabus cabriolet 03, Smart Brabus Cabriolet 08, Porsche 993 C2S Tip
I think they are the ultimate SL, but no doubt others will have their own favourites.

John

I saw a gullwing in Berlin ... GORGEOUS. He even let me sit in it after I helped him push it into the right place :rock: :rock:

DSC00749-s.jpg

DSC00751-s.jpg

DSC00753-s.jpg

DSC00758-s.jpg

C240Sport97 said:
I saw a gullwing in Berlin ... GORGEOUS. He even let me sit in it after I helped him push it into the right place

Envy,
What sort of headroom do these cars have? Is there room for the average 6' 7" cheeky chappie? :D

At a mere 5'8", I fit in no problem ...

6'7" will be a challenge .. much like an MB rust claim, you have to REALLY REALLY want it :)

glojo said:
Envy,
What sort of headroom do these cars have? Is there room for the average 6' 7" cheeky chappie? :D

C240Sport97 said:
At a mere 5'8", I fit in no problem ...

6'7" will be a challenge .. much like an MB rust claim, you have to REALLY REALLY want it :)

:D 6' 7" 18 stone and I easily and comfortably fitted into the older type mini. 1980's SL's were a definite challenge.:)

John

Fantastic car. I love all MB classics. Why can't they make cars like these anymore? I saw Top gear the other day and they were test driving the 316,000.00 merc and the interior was full of cheap plastic!!

WHat a car - wonder what the final price will be!!

I love those things... would love to have one, if money were no object :(
The Gullwing also holds a very special place in my heart.. would go as far as saying it would be my favourite merc of all time!

Vips said:
Fantastic car. I love all MB classics. Why can't they make cars like these anymore? I saw Top gear the other day and they were test driving the 316,000.00 merc and the interior was full of cheap plastic!!

There is a modern version of this excellent sports car with all the modern mechanics. We posted the link a while back. A proper original SL300 shell but that is where it ends. (not a modern kit car replica)

John

graeme73s said:
what a stunning looking car.

Stunning indeed.
One of the most beautiful cars of all time imho - cars really don't get much better looking than that.

glojo said:
There is a modern version of this excellent sports car with all the modern mechanics. We posted the link a while back. A proper original SL300 shell but that is where it ends. (not a modern kit car replica)

John
Hi John
whats their name or their web address,
cheers Graeme

graeme73s said:
Hi John
cheers Graeme

:D I just knew someone would ask, 'janner' and I discussed it, hopefully he has a better memory than me, but after qualifying I will start going through back issues of my magazines. ;)

Watch this space, by the way...

They are NOT cheap :eek:

Regards,
John

Perhaps you are thinking of this outfit in Jersey.

http://www.hooperandco.net/index.htm

Seems to be in a state of limbo at the minute, but their aim is to knock out 300SL Roadsters and Gullwings at prices starting from c£78k.

Based on 124 mechanicals (naturlich), the final price looks as if it could reach levels of the original when you consider the ambitious pricing of 'extras'. (P.A.S. - £2k+VAT :eek:) etc.

As Mercedes Enthusiast noted - "If you've got the real thing and you don't want to put the miles on, it could be just the thing..." :D

graeme73s said:
Hi John
cheers Graeme

Hi Graeme,
In fairness to Del320, I did say original 300SL. This puts it into the mega expensive, expensive price bracket. :) The Sultan of Brunei ordered ten made to measure type vehicles at £1m EACH. For the likes of us mere mortals who perhaps might earn just a little less, then we are looking at 385,000 euro's or approximately £267,324 (Internet convertor)

These are original 300SL's absolutely fully restored to 'As New' condition then the running gear of a variety of Mercedes installed. My magazine refers to: R129 380bhp 6litre AMG V8 (unquote) or any variation of the M104 series motors but they favour the 302bhp Brabus tuned 3.6ltr engine. These references are extracted from my magazine so please do NOT get onto me for any inaccuracies

The company that do the conversion is Mechatronik and I have just found the link.

The excellent article is in the January 2005 copy of Mercedes Enthusiast. The car is still a 300SL and not a kit car fibre glass copy.

Thanks del320 for your link and if they do stay in business, it looks a very nice car.

Regards,
John

Thanks glojo,
they are stunning looking cars, but for us mere mortals and the fact that I did not win the lottery tonight it will have to remain a dream for a little while longer. Kerry looked at the picture and her words "I think my BMW phase is over, I'd like a mercedes"

graeme73s said:
Thanks glojo,
they are stunning looking cars, but for us mere mortals and the fact that I did not win the lottery tonight it will have to remain a dream for a little while longer. Kerry looked at the picture and her words "I think my BMW phase is over, I'd like a mercedes"

They are indeed the bee's knee's.

John

Final bid £146,100 did not meet the reserve. My guess £150,000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom