Becker Cascade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fyonn

Car
BMW 330d
Evening folks,

I'm thinking of getting one of these units for my SLK and I noticed from searching the forum that a few of you have installed these units already, was hoping you might be able to answer a question or for me? does this unit support 7 digit postcode search, or is it only 4 or 5 digit?

also, do you have any thoughts on it as a nav unit/HU? mini review perhaps, or some pics of the unit installed?

for me, the big thing it's missing is a map view, 3d for preference, but it doesn't ave any which is a bit of a shame. DAB would be nice too, but on the plus side, it seems to have everything else, BT, cd/radio, mp3, easy interface, proper knobs to twiddle, rather than trying to change volume with buttons etc.

and it looks like it's nothing special, that's a big plus. it looks like I could leave the removable faceplate on it and no-one would give it a second glance

I've also looked at the JVC single din unit and while it does have the screen (with map view), it's only a 4 digit postcode search and it looks a little less stealth. but then it does have a 40G harddisk too...

so, any thoughts on the becker?

cheers
dave

If I can add another question, where did you get yours from? Wondering who the recommended options might be?

cheers
dave

Last edited:
Cascade thoughts

Hi there
I recently fitted a Becker Cascade into my Porsche 993.

Overall, I am very pleased with it and the basic functions are easy to use.

I am currently using the previous version of software and maps and will be switching to version 3.61 and 3.0 maps later this week.

It only has a very basic postcode search with my version, 4 digits, not sure if the next version will be more accurate.

In its defence it knows it is quicker to go round the M25 than through Central London, unlike my Command system in the E class, and it has TMC.

Whilst I thought I would miss having a map, it is not much of an issue. The voice comands are very similar to the Merc and the turn off directions are very clear and animated.

The bluetooth for the phone is great and connects automatically once set up.

The compact flash with the maps is 2gb and the maps take up 75%, so only a few albums can be added. I have another 4gb card with lots of music, but if inserted you can't add another route for the sat nav, without putting the original CF back in.

The maps are copy protected, so you can't put the maps on the 4gb card, which is a shame.

I bought mine via ebay from Europe. They are quiet a bit cheaper on the continent, make sure you get the latest software. The instruction manual will probably be in another language, but an English one is available for £7. The pdf of the English version is some 190 pages!

Speed camera locations in continental Europe can be added via a CD, and a version with the UK sites is due out, but no date has been set.

Hope this helps, I am very pleased with mine and it has a nice surround sound setting. An ipod connection can also be added for £20 ish, if you don't go for the Becker original one, which incidently is supposed to be out of stock in the UK at the moment

Cheers

Harvey

thanks harveyn, can you update this thread when you get the new firmware and maps installed, let us know if there is any difference (postcode support for example). I've looked at a couple of ebayUK, but not on the continent yet. there is a shop near manchester which seems to knock them out at a decent discount, and at least it's local and has a warrantee, so I might well go there.

I've already downloaded the manual from the ebcker websiet for a read. I had noticed reference to external POI's, but no discussion of how to get these POI's, what format they need to be in, if I can generate them myself etc. Was wondering if the pocketGPS speed cam list could be adapted...

thanks for giving us a quick review, much appreciated. the becker is a strong contender for my car atm :)

dave

in reply

Hi Dave
I will let you know how I get on after the update. Ebay in Europe has them for £550 ish, they come with a 2 year warranty.
Good question about the poi. Mine are blanked out at the moment. I have tried emailing Becker in Germany for help without success. I asked them about speedtraps.de and they won't comment as it is not their product. Presumably the CD must download the data onto the Compact Flash, but I don't know how they integrate. I had a quick go trying to add some poi, but with no success, presumably because it was blanked out, maybe the next version of software will allow it?

The set blends in very well with my dash and shouldn't date in the same way that other systems might, (I like to think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom