Becker Map Pilot (Card) Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iceageuk

Car
Mercedes C220D (W204)
Hi Everyone, just registered with the site (be gentle lol). Need to put it out there for some help, advice regarding the problem i have. I apologise for the length of the thread but want to include all the details, hopefully to save time.

I bought a 2012 C class (W204) model a few weeks ago. Have always wanted to own a Mercedes and must confess i wish i had done this sooner. Lovely car, drive etc. I knew the car came without the Becker card for the SatNav as the seller was totally upfront about it.

About 2 weeks ago i managed to find a Becker card for sale from another, very genuine Mercedes owner who had recently upgraded to a newer model C class. He had taken the Becker card out of his older C class (now successfully sold) and wanted to sell the card separately. The card was immaculate and was still in its original box. When i placed it into the socket in the glove compartment of my car, it was recognised but i was asked for a pass code. I was still at the sellers house and he also came to have a look. He was adamant that he had never initiated any security codes etc. We both thought (quite logically) that i would be able to sort this out quite easily by getting in touch with Becker and explaining the problem. I decided therefore to keep the card as the seller was quite genuine (prefer to buy face to face as well to be honest).

I emailed Becker and explained in detail the problem. Think the reply was fairly generic in nature, but followed their advice to reformat the card, download the content manager and then to synchronise the card with the data on the content manager. I even spent another 89 euros to purchase the up to-date European map bundle as thought this would definitely allow the card to be recognised by my car. Installed it and it was recognised, with all map data being displayed. Switched it off, then back on and it went back to asking for the pass code?? I have emailed Becker several times since and have had one generic reply telling me to do the same things as they had previously said. The other emails have been ignored. I have rung Becker and spoke to someone, who i can only describe as totally not interested. She was unhelpful to the point of being rude, saying it was nothing to do with them as the cards were someone else's responsibility. She told me to email again and ask for a link that would take me to a site where i could register the card??? When i asked her to give me the link she refused! Have emailed Becker again but have had no reply.

This seems a ludicrous situation to be in. I (as you guys do) have a premier car but for some reason cant seem to get something simple like the Nav unit working even after speaking to the manufacturers, who also claim a premier status by being suppliers to MB. Even after spending the 89 euros to up date the card i still cant get someone to take ownership of the problem.

Any suggestions please? Is there a hotline or something similar at MB i can contact? Has anyone else had similar problems with Becker? How was it resolved? Who can i write to at Becker to make an official complaint?

Many thanks in advance,
Mike (frustrated owner).

As I understand it once the code is set the unit does not ask for it again until you move it to another car and then it will ask for it again.

Once you have entered it you can got into the menus and disable it.

So either the previous owner set a code or someone before them.

As far as I understood it couldn't be bypassed even by wiping it.

Maybe repeat the process where you could get into the system and go into the menus to disable the code.

Otherwise tell the seller you need the code or your money back.

As I understand it once the code is set the unit does not ask for it again until you move it to another car and then it will ask for it again.

Once you have entered it you can got into the menus and disable it.

So either the previous owner set a code or someone before them.

As far as I understood it couldn't be bypassed even by wiping it.

Maybe repeat the process where you could get into the system and go into the menus to disable the code.

Otherwise tell the seller you need the code or your money back.

Hi Stu...Thank you very much for your reply. Yes i think you are probably correct. At least it is looking as if this is the case. Just seems a totally ridiculous situation. There must be some default mechanism to re set surely. Think what has happened in this case is the person i bought the BMP from had bought the car it had originally come in, probably from someone who had set up a pass code. As it had never been taken out of this original car until i bought it, the problem had never arose. But he and i bought the relevant products in good faith and through no fault of my own i am not able to use it etc. He cannot go back to where he bought the car from as he has no contact details, i cant get a code from him as he didnt set one up. Just seems a bit over the top. But thnks for taking the time to reply its much appreciated. Mike

It's an anti theft mechanism. Would be a bit pointless if you could just reload the firmware which is free off the internet and bypass it.

If the above info is correct, then you should go back to seller, put the unit back in his car, then go into the relevant menu and disable the anti-theft code.

I sold my own Becker Map Pilot unit to another forum member and it worked on his car without a code. So there must be a way to disable the anti-theft code.

Anti theft is not switched on as standard, you have to activate it in the menus within the car. Most people don't, hence why its rarely an issue. Plus most people leave it in the car for the next purchaser.

I am assuming that as the seller had recently moved to a newer C Class they would no longer have access to the old car. But if they do, then that may well work, as the requirement for a code can be taken out in the menus once authenticated in the car.

Can't remember if putting it into another car and then back makes it ask for the code in the original or not. But certainly worth a try if possible.

It's an anti theft mechanism. Would be a bit pointless if you could just reload the firmware which is free off the internet and bypass it.

Hi Stu,
I understand that. But in my case i have bought the latest European map updates from Becker for 89 euros so am not using free software. Just think that there should be some way of taking into account personal circumstances etc. Thanks for getting back though.
Mike

If the above info is correct, then you should go back to seller, put the unit back in his car, then go into the relevant menu and disable the anti-theft code.

I sold my own Becker Map Pilot unit to another forum member and it worked on his car without a code. So there must be a way to disable the anti-theft code.

Hi,
Wish i could but he has sold his car before he offered the BMP for sale so in this case it is not practical.
I have also just heard back from him and he tells me that he purchased the BMP brand new from Amazon after he had bought the car. Fitted it and it worked straight away without asking for a code etc. So no code was ever set up. He is trying to locate his original receipt for the BMP which may help me in my discussions with Becker. Well hopefully anyway. Just seems a totally unrealistic position to be in.
Thanks for reply.
Mike

Anti theft is not switched on as standard, you have to activate it in the menus within the car. Most people don't, hence why its rarely an issue. Plus most people leave it in the car for the next purchaser.

I am assuming that as the seller had recently moved to a newer C Class they would no longer have access to the old car. But if they do, then that may well work, as the requirement for a code can be taken out in the menus once authenticated in the car.

Can't remember if putting it into another car and then back makes it ask for the code in the original or not. But certainly worth a try if possible.

Hi Stu,
Dont think it is an option with regard to tracking the original car down. Although i might try speaking with him about it. He has offered a refund now as well but as i have paid out another 89 euros for the map updates i would rather try and get it to work. Also i feel from a principle point of view that this is not correct etc.
thanks again,
Mike

To the OP - the maps you bought are the data the software uses, so in a sense, MB view that you are trying to use "free software" (as you haven't paid them to use it)

I'm think you are being naïve if you think you should have it for free.

This thread highlights the risks and pitfalls of buying used parts.

I don't think MB ever sold the Becker Map Pilot maps... only the unit itself.

I had a factory-fitted BMP unit and bought the maps update at the time via the BMP website.

To the OP - make sure you download and install the latest firmware update from BMP for your unit, if you have not done so already.

It's a free download and upgrade, but requires that the unit is registered with BMP first (which I understand you have done).

I don't know if this will fix your problem, but a firmware upgrade is usually a good first step in any fault diagnosis.

Hi,
Not sure i understand your comments regarding 'free' and 'naive'?
Having paid 89 euros for updates from the manufacturer of the Nav system, which is endorsed by MB for use in their vehicles, i don't think this suggests naivety, or is indicative of someone who expects or even wants something for free ?? Also, MB do not provide this free of charge but offer it as a chargeable optional extra, thus the owner of the vehicle does not have an actual choice of different systems. It has to be the one endorsed and supplied by MB themselves.

This becomes the property of the car owner who then passes on this ownership to the new purchaser, every-time he, or she sells the car. I would expect therefore as the owner of the car and its various accessories to fit/update items, be they new or pre-used. To prevent this would be akin to suggesting that any car mats supplied with a vehicle can only be replaced by MB themselves and not swapped from car to car for instance.

All i have done is purchase a car without a BMP Card. Then bought the best value one i could find. Found that it wouldn't work in my actual car, spoke with the manufacturer of the BMP Card, who advised me t re-format it. I did this and even purchased the newest map update that Becker have available, only to find it would still not work in my car. I find it ludicrous that in 2019 this allowed to happen!

As a slight update the situation. Have spoken with the person who i purchased the BMP Card from. He tells me that his original car also came without the unit in question. He proceeded to purchase a brand new BMP Card via Amazon. Fitted to his car and it worked immediately without any code being asked for or set up. The card in question was therefore bought new and is not one that has been passed from car to car. Not that it should matter anyway.
Mike

I don't think MB ever sold the Becker Map Pilot maps... only the unit itself.

I had a factory-fitted BMP unit and bought the maps update at the time via the BMP website.

That's interesting, thanks for that.
Mike

To the OP - make sure you download and install the latest firmware update from BMP for your unit, if you have not done so already.

It's a free download and upgrade, but requires that the unit is registered with BMP first (which I understand you have done).

I don't know if this will fix your problem, but a firmware upgrade is usually a good first step in any fault diagnosis.

Ok thanks for that. Good advice.
Mike

When you say "the person who you purchased the BMP Card from purchased a brand new BMP Card via Amazon" do you mean he purchased the map data or the BMP unit? Or both?

As I understand it, the maps (the "data") are quite separate from the software (the "operating system") that reads the maps and determines the route. Buying a new map won't make any difference if the operating system doesn't run on your car.

When speaking to Becker, did you tell them the BMP was "used" and had previously been installed on another car? The original purchaser has several choices:
- pay for the COMAND system
- pay for the BMP
- pay for a separate application / unit such as GARMIN or TOM TOM
- use "WAZE"

Installing the BMP to a car ties the software to that car - much as buying any Microsoft operating system is tied to the PC you install it on. Yes you can reinstall in on another machine - but only if you have the requisite license key. This is to prevent multiple "free" installations and unlicensed use.

You do not appear to have the "license" key for your BMP. The license is just that - you don't own the software - you merely have the right to use it.

I may be wrong but that is how it was explained to me.

I hope you can get your money back from the seller of the BMP or that Becker can register the BMP to you and enable / activate it, with the new map data. I had a similar problem with a Tom Tom unit I had owned from new and registered with Tom Tom; they sold me a map update which was too large to install on my Tom TOm - so I wasted the cost of the map update. This was despite me arguing to Tom Tom they knew what unit I had and that the map data would not fit on that unit...

One other thought - are you sure you car is enabled for BMP?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say "the person who you purchased the BMP Card from purchased a brand new BMP Card via Amazon" do you mean he purchased the map data or the BMP unit? Or both?

As I understand it, the maps (the "data") are quite separate from the software (the "operating system") that reads the maps and determines the route. Buying a new map won't make any difference if the operating system doesn't run on your car.

When speaking to Becker, did you tell them the BMP was "used" and had previously been installed on another car? The original purchaser has several choices:
- pay for the COMAND system
- pay for the BMP
- pay for a separate application / unit such as GARMIN or TOM TOM
- use "WAZE"

Installing the BMP to a car ties the software to that car - much as buying any Microsoft operating system is tied to the PC you install it on. Yes you can reinstall in on another machine - but only if you have the requisite license key. This is to prevent multiple "free" installations and unlicensed use.

You do not appear to have the "license" key for your BMP. The license is just that - you don't own the software - you merely have the right to use it.

I may be wrong but that is how it was explained to me.

I hope you can get your money back from the seller of the BMP or that Becker can register the BMP to you and enable / activate it, with the new map data. I had a similar problem with a Tom Tom unit I had owned from new and registered with Tom Tom; they sold me a map update which was too large to install on my Tom TOm - so I wasted the cost of the map update. This was despite me arguing to Tom Tom they knew what unit I had and that the map data would not fit on that unit...

One other thought - are you sure you car is enabled for BMP?

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The way i understand it he purchased the BMP Card/Cassette from Amazon. The Nav system was already in the car when he bought it (much like mine). I think I would consider the BMP Card and the pre-installed operating system in the car by MB to be the hardware, whilst the software, yo my mind would simply be the data supplied by Becker with relevant map information on.

Yes i did inform Becker of the history of the card and of my car etc.

Appreciate the purchaser of the original car would have had a choice, but my understanding of the model and the age etc, would have necessitated the potential purchaser having to have a Becker system, if he wanted an integrated system. Although this point is slightly irrelevant, as once this option had been selected by the purchaser, it became part of the package and options of the car he was buying.

I agree with your point regarding how the BMP Card ties itself to the individual car (although fail to see how this can happen if the code had not been instigated), but as you correctly point out, similar to Microsoft, it should be possible to obtain a relevant key from the manufacturer, which will enable their system to work on another machine. Exactly the same therefore in principle to what i am trying to achieve.

I have been offered money back by the seller of the BMP Card and am looking at the contract with Becker regarding download up-dates. Appears to be a 14 day period of cancellation. If so i am within that period. I just feel from a matter or principle this should not be allowed to occur. I appreciate and totally endorse all endeavours by manufacturers to prevent theft etc but feel that there must be an option for the very many genuine people out there and not just to offer a complete prohibition against the small minority of crooks and thieves who operate within the stolen goods market.
Mike

As per my previous post, my experience is that the BMP unit can isually just be transferred from one car to other with no issues (as long as both cars have the 'Becker Map Pilot pre-wiring' option fitted).

Your issue in this case is that you had poor support from the manufacturer in respect of a unit that is out of warranty and that you purchased second-hand from a private seller.

Although obviously disappointing, the fact remains that in these circumstances the manufacturer is under no obligation to assist you.

So your options are:

- Get a solution from the manufacturer (which you have tried to do but so far failed)

- Try and work something out yourself (which is the purpose of your posts here)

- Return the unit to the seller for refund

Hi Mark,
Thanks for reply.
Yes i thought it would have just worked OK. Think only option for me (or at least getting that way lol), is to refund the BMP Card from seller and looking at Becker themselves, they seem to offer a 14 day Cancellation period/refund for downloaded or digital purchases etc. so have TO see how that goes i guess.
thanks,
Mike

Good luck

I hope you get your monies back if you can’t get it working

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom