Becker Map Pilot - Map Transfer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graeme81

Car
Pending
Hi All,
I have 2 Becker Map Pilot modules. The one in my wife’s SLK has 2017 maps and the spare out of my old C Class has 2012. Does anyone know if it’s possible to transfer certain files across to bring the 2012 up to 2017?
When I check the files on my PC, I can see that some files are identical (size and date), I’ve transferred the 2017 files across to the 2012 module but when I install it in the car, it has an error that the maps are locked.

Pretty sure there is a way to do it but wondering if anyone on here has already found the procedure.
Many Thanks
Graeme

The Becker Map Pilot maps are linked to the unit's serial number (otherwise you would have found them readily available on file-sharing websites...).

There may be hacks out there that allow you to spoof the unit's serial number, I don't know, but even if there are such hacks, it wouldn't be something that can be discussed here.

It 'might' be possible. See below the reply I made to someone a while back.:

When I had a Becker Map Pilot some years ago I had a faulty unit that was replaced by the garage. Although I had a backup for all the speed cameras (that I'd paid for) I couldn't get them to transfer to the new. I contacted Becker who were really helpful (NOT!!) and told me it was not possible to transfer them and that I would have to pay to download them again.

IIRC I saved my old backup somewhere safe then did a backup of the new unit and managed to merge the old backup code into the new backup and restored it from there. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly how I did it now as it was about 3 years ago, but it is possible.

You'd probably have to backup both units then strip the map content from the older one (leaving the operating content in place) and replace with the map content of the newer one, then restore it. What I don't know is if the newer content relies having newer code envelope around it, and with a 5 year difference you might have some issues. Maybe worth a try though, but do remember to keep a backup of the 2012 module so you can restore it at the end of the day if all else fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom