Becker Map Pilot or Comand on W204 ?

Becker Map Pilot with Audio 20 or Comand.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
I am just configuring a new W204 and will be putting in some form of Nav unit. As my vehicle will be the facelift the Audio 20 comes with Becker Map Pilot pre wiring. Just plug it into the glove box and it completely integrates. Also for orders placed by the 30th June MB are throwing it in for free (or £495 off Comand) :thumb:.

So the big question is is it worth paying the Extra for comand or has comand now seen its day :dk:.

Comand with Media Interface (ipod integration) = £1995 (single disk version or £2250 with 6 DVD unit)
Audio 20 with Media Interface (ipod integration and 6 CD) and Becker is = £450 + £495

So effectively you save £1000 with the Becker which means you can also put a DAB unit (£330) and Harmon Kardon sound (£650) for the same cash.

As far as I can getting Comand will mean:
DVD play back, using Comand screen to surf internet, (both only when stationary) a 7 inch screen, full lingutronic, free map updates for 3 years apparently (probably about 2 updates!)

On the plus with Becker you get:
5.8 inch screen, Upgradable from Computer so you can download points of interest (speed camera's I am sure will become available) Also you can update maps easily when available like with TomTom. Can be transfered to other vehicles with system e.g. New SLK and I am sure new face lift E Class in 2012.

Telephone integration seems the same on both, TMC is available on both.

So am a missing anything is this really the only differences between Comand and the Becker?

Would appreciate peoples thoughts and advice on whether to go for Audio 20 with DAB, Harmon and media interface or Comand.

What would you go for?

Make or break for the system will be the cost and frequency of the map upgrades and POI if they include speed camera locations. It would appear Becker will do the maps[ will the mapping updates be very German market oriented?] but POI may be via a Mercedes portal?? The integration into the car's standard display is an attraction but unless they can compete with the TomTom and GARMIN after-market offerings on prices/updates its a non starter

I have Comand in my W211 and also my excellent retro fit in our SLK (thanks to Alfie and Richard) my main frustration is the slow updates and the inflexibility of the comand system. I love TomTom for the flexibility and ease of upgrade I do hate the wires etc so the Becker seems to fill the gap but I don't want to go for the Becker option if it is a compromise in the future.

Currently I am trying to see what Comand is going to give me in addition to the Becker.

Make or break for the system will be the cost and frequency of the map upgrades and POI if they include speed camera locations. It would appear Becker will do the maps[ will the mapping updates be very German market oriented?]
It seems that Becker use NAVTEQ as their cartography provider so I would expect the mapping to be pretty much as it appears on Garmin devices. What the update cost will be is impossible to say, but if Becker do a better job of protecting the licenced material in their update process than Mercedes do with COMAND (not hard :rolleyes:) there's no reason other than OEM greed why it shouldn't be price competitive with Garmin & TomTom updates. Custom POI's are useful, but for speedcam's you need Proximity Alerts and there's no indication one way or the other whether that will be in the provided feature set. Other Becker navigation devices have it, but that's no guarantee the Map Pilot will do either now or in the future. Remember that GPS-based camera detectors are illegal in MB's home market and that MB have shown great reluctance to provide such a feature.

One likely difference twixt Map Pilot and COMAND is that the latter includes dead-reckoning while the former probably doesn't (you'd need to check this - if it does then it has a big advantage over fully portable units). Dead-reckoning is really useful in areas with densely packed high-rise buildings, so if you travel into unfamiliar cities frequently it could be a differentiator.

Overall I think the product shows real promise and if it achieves penetration with other car manufacturers too then it will almost certainly take off as it is potentially much more versatile than fully integrated solutions like COMAND.

Cant talk about command, because i never had it.

I picked up my facelifted W204 last friday with the Audio20 and Becker Map Pilot.

The only thing i can say is that the Becker Map Pilot is a good navigation, nice screen.... i really like it.

POI's are integrated, speedcams not....

I think later on, you can do the update yourself, since the Becker can be upgraded with your computer at home.

For me the Becker is a good, nice thing.....

I didnt think that HK , media interface and DAB were available with the audio20 and map pilot options.

I didnt think that HK , media interface and DAB were available with the audio20 and map pilot options.

Just checked and it looks like you can. Im sure i looked at this before and it said you couldnt.

tbh , id be tempted to just go for comand.

in order to go for the HK and DAB , you have to upgrade to a 6 disk changer

so

450 for the changer
495 for the map pilot

total = just buy comand ;)

I picked up my facelifted W204 last friday with the Audio20 and Becker Map Pilot.

Do you get navigation directions on the speedo cluster screen like you do when you have Comand?

The one big difference as far as I can see is the size of the screen...

But being able to add POI is a big plus.

Do you get navigation directions on the speedo cluster screen like you do when you have Comand?

Yes navigation instructions appear in the middle of the speedo with Becker

I am just configuring a new W204 and will be putting in some form of Nav unit.
New info just in:

Please check with your dealer, but mine told me today that they cannot spec Audio 20 in the W204 at the moment due to component shortages, only COMAND with the single CD facility (the 6-disc version is also unavailable).

I was told W204 with Comand are available in June and with Becker July. I want the car for September.

I checked out the new lexus CT200 hybrid. They are quoting December due to parts issues! the ride on the CT200 is horrid, and fuel economy on my 40 mile motorway run was 50 mpg not 70mpg but on an urban run I got 64mpg. I am hoping a new Merc C220 CDI with 7G and stop start will be better than this at 75miles per hour on a motor way.

Last edited:
Found something else Comand does now it has a speed limit assist function that reads road signs with a camera and pops up the speed limit in the central display.

Is this worth the extra £1000 ?:confused:

Cant talk about command, because i never had it.

The only thing i can say is that the Becker Map Pilot is a good navigation, nice screen.... i really like it.

POI's are integrated, speedcams not....

I think later on, you can do the update yourself, since the Becker can be upgraded with your computer at home.

For me the Becker is a good, nice thing.....

Petje,

Does your audio 20 accept a DVD. If you read the price list it says it is "CD/DVD" compatible. The rest of the price list talks about just CD I was wondering if the audio 20 drive with the becker gives DVD capability or is this an MB typo.

Found something else Comand does now it has a speed limit assist function that reads road signs with a camera and pops up the speed limit in the central display.

Is this worth the extra £1000 ?:confused:

isn't the speed limit assist function additional cost? £300?

It is on the E-Class, but I believe that it's standard with COMAND on the facelift W204.

isn't the speed limit assist function additional cost? £300?

Yes it does seem to be a £300 option on the E class. But FOC with the face lift C class. One reason for me choosing the C over the E is the telematics seem to be ahead with the C. I suspect the E class face lift will be excellent hopefully next year.

New info just in:

Please check with your dealer, but mine told me today that they cannot spec Audio 20 in the W204 at the moment due to component shortages, only COMAND with the single CD facility (the 6-disc version is also unavailable).

My salesman also told me that the Audio 20 isnt availlable at the moment.

Auido 20 comes with or without built in 6 disc changer, may want to check if both are not available or just the 6 disc changer model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom