Becker Map Pilot review ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robtt

Car
C250cdi coupe cavansite blue,,auto,pan roof,leather
Thinking about purchasing Becker Map Pilot and wonder if anyone using one can give me an idea if it is worth having ?

I think so. Works well for me and the fact that I don't have to stick something on the windscreen and charge it together with the integration with phone & audio make ot worthwhile.

Another vote from me, I bought a new unopened unit off eBay for £300 rather than the dealer.

I like the integration.

The only downside is I find it occasionally freezes and needs a reboot (that's pulling it out and putting it back in again).

*Obvious statement alert*

The Becker will only work in a car that is factory pre wired for the unit.

Many thanks. New car arrives March and is able to take the Becker. Can speed camera alerts be added ?

Just taken delivery of my C class with Becker installed. Was told to, within 45 days, get free update through Becker website. When plugging in the box to the computer the website doesn't recognise the 'box' Before I make an idiot of myself at the Mercedes show room has anyone have a solution?

Many thanks. New car arrives March and is able to take the Becker. Can speed camera alerts be added ?

Not that I'm aware of, however, it does constantly display the speed limit on the road on which you're travelling. For this reason I leave it on most of the time, it's a fantastic feature.

yes - downloaded all the relevant info. It then told me to plug in the 'box' which I did and it said ...not recognised!!

The Becker was working fine after I picked it up just thought that if there where any updates, I might as well do it right away. No joy.

hmmm, that's an odd one.

Connect the unit with the USB before you start the software. I don't think it likes being connected once it's running.

Try another usb port.

Try uninstalling / reinstalling the software.

I think there is also a reset button on the unit that you press with a ball point pen, give that a whizz.

If all that fails, back to the dealer for another unit.

I updated mine that day I openend the box, it took circa 4 hours and downloaded all the updated maps for the whole of Europe.

You can pick these up on eBay.DE for around £200 delivered.

Got mine from there last week, brand new, sealed, Nov 2011 manufacture date.

Beats the UK eBay prices by £70-£100.

There is no difference between the UK and German stock, other than the printed instruction leaflet.

Has anyone noticed that you can't get out of 'Nav' using the control wheel? Seems to be the only problem I've found.

Speed Cameras: You cannot add these unfortunately. A few people on www.pocketgpsworld.com have had a look at the data files and they haven't been able to do anything with them. Becker also state that it isn't possible.

Last edited:
Hey Robtt
If you are still looking for Becker Map Pilot. I can offer you one for 210 including postage. I'm based in London. Its the Q4 version.
Let me know if you are interested.

Regards

I have a Becker Map Pilot, I purchased it off eBay for £260. I downloaded the software then plugged it into the PC, it took an age for it to recognise but when it did I found the software very easy to use. The upgrade took a while to download but again was very easy to install.

I have used it on quite a few occasions in the past 2 months now and have found it very useful. The voice integration is very good and picks up the street and town first time. It occasionally freezes but it's just a simple reset (unplug/plug back in).

Overall, it's an expensive TomTom but have the luxury of it integrating with the car entertainment system.

Mine arrived from Germany today.
Bought from ebay for £202 delivered.

First plugged into the PC, and it confirmed its the latest version, with the latest maps.
The box indicates it was produced 2/12 with a Best Before 03/2013.

Plugged it the car and it works fine.
The initial boot took a minute or so, but after that its instant and appears to work very well.

All the menus were in English as default, but it took a little while to identify how to change the voice recognition from Deutch to English. But once that was done the voice recognition (PTT) works great.

The only slight grumble, its that once the 'Navi' option is selected on the Audio 20 and the Becker is running I can only return the main display to another option i.e Radio, Audio, System by pressing the associated button on the Audio 20 itself. i.e the Backup button next the command wheel or steering wheel won't exit the Map Pilot.

Same grumble as above, plus random changes to kilometres.

(and inability to add speed cameras)

After 6 months using it, it's OK - but OK only. Mine freezes every now and then (so you have to reset it in the glove box - hardly ideal when your driving!!) and you cannot add speed cameras to it. The routing algorithms are sometimes very odd.

I have reverted back to TomTom on my iPhone. Far better.

Lived with ours 9 months now. It gets me where I need to be which is what it was designed for. However, if I had to rely on it I'd have a TomTom which just does the job better.

The single biggest plus of the becker is integration and use of the Wheel on the centre console.

My Previous car had COMAND and the C class before that had UMI Nav in the Audio 20. TomTom knocks them all into a cocked hat if it's pure navigation you require.

That said, I like the Becker purely because of the integration and when bought on eBay - it's sensible money.

Surprisingly poor sat nav.

Hi,

I have a nice new B Class. I have had Renault Tom Tom and (screen stuck) Garmin sat navs previously.

The Merc sat nav seems grainy and fuzzy compared to the Tom Tom and there is a lot of space wasted on the screen which could be map.

There is only one voice, and that has a problem with the way some words are made up. Some directions are obviously stitched together without concern (or perhaps they were originally German) and they can seem garbled.

The directions can be confusing, especially around town, and it does not seem to make much use of the 'half right' concept. Often it will demand 'turn right' when the road is all straight ahead.

I'm still getting used to the machine, so we will see, but I might have to get a proper Tom Tom/Garmin and dump this thing.

P.

Last edited:
Went out of town recently on a well established main route with many 50 mph signs. But the sat nav thought it was only 40 mph, and it kept bitching, everytime I went over 50 mph. I know I could turn the bitching off, but I do like getting warnings, provided they are accurate....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom