Becker Map Pilot vs TomTom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I've read a few posts from owners that have the Becker Map Pilot satnav. There's doesn't seem to be much love for it.

I already have a decent TomTom system. So my question is simply: for the integration that's offered with the Becker system, is it really worth the £200-250 it would cost me?

It's a though question to quantify I know, but just interested to hear from Becker owners who now have the benefit of hindsight.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I've read a few posts from owners that have the Becker Map Pilot satnav. There's doesn't seem to be move love for it.

I already have a decent TomTom system. So my question is simply: for the integration that's offered with the Becker system, is it really worth the £200-250 it would cost me?

It's a though question to quantify I know, but just interested to hear from Becker owners who now have the benefit of hindsight.

Cheers.

Hi Will,

I moved from a Tom Tom HD Live unit + iPhone Tom Tom with traffic and I would have to say the Becker unit is C*** in comparison.

Dont get me wrong the Becker has some nice features re speed warnings etc but there are a lot of buggy bits to it too.

It would appear you will only get Map updates every 6 months from Becker at best as well which comes as a bit of a shock to someone used to a Tom Tom.

The Becker does provide re-routing over the Radio network which I havent had much call to test/use yet but I am pretty certain it wont be as slick as the TomTom where it tells you of delays ahead etc on route and how far they are.

If you could borrow one and 'test drive' it so to speak I would recommend that because there is quite a price to pay for not having any wires on your dash.

Only used mine for 2 days and have not done update yet and I think it works fine, for me it would be becker hands down over the tom tom the integration is spot on. Each to there own but I would prefer integrated over a stand alone system.

Becker works fine for what I need, can't stand trailing wires and having to take a unit in and out and turn it on etc. You can't beat turning on the ignition and having your maps ready and waiting

Thanks all for the replies. It's a tough call to make.

I'm not a fan of trailing wires either nor the inconvenience of having to remember to take it out of the car. But neither do I like poor functionality, which on paper the Becker unit seems to suffer with.

What could ease the financial pain of the Becker is that there seems a strong demand for s/h units on Ebay. So I could sell after some time should it not meet my needs.

I've just got my new car and bit the bullet and bought a Becker Map Pilot over a TomTom.

I do think that the TomTom is probably a better unit but the Map Pilot is more than adequate for my needs. The integration into my car makes the car feel more 'complete'.

I hate the idea of trailing wires, fixing brackets etc. in the car.

Functions wise a Tom Tom is always going to be better than an any oem solution that I have seen but most systems more than adequate. I find when you have used any sat nav for a few weeks and get used to how it works most are generally fine.

The main reason I use my Tom Tom is for the live traffic service - I have a pretty good knowledge of how to get around Britain, but the traffic feature has saved me hours and hours on some long distance trips.

I wish manufacturers would just make it so you can choose which sat nav system you use - surely it's easy enough for the like of Tom Tom just to sell a USB key type device that you could then plug into your car

Tom Tom Sat Nav in new C-Class Hybrid

Before my C-Class I had an E-Class. The new C-Class comes with Tom Tom Sat Nav within Command. I have to say its the worse Sat Nav system I've experienced in 30 years with MB. It doesn't re-route when traffic ahead is blocked and overall its inferior to the previous in-built Sat Navs. In speaking to my local MB dealer they didn't even know the system was from Tom Tom. I won't be buying another MB anytime soon.:

The current factory fit sat nav is awful. VERY short notice at junction, even at sub 30 mph. I have purchased aftermarket Becker navigation for nearly 10 years and found it far more effective than the 2015 factory fit, especially the choice routes option. I think people are happy with Tom Tom as they have heard of it!

The current system isn't Becker, it's Garmin.
Unfortunately, Daimler got them to strip out most of its functionality.
It is frankly embarassing IMO, that a £19.99 no-name Aldi budget special out performs the factory fit solution of a premium car brand.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom