Becker Map Pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't have a Mac (though my son does), but I have to say it's a bit poor of Becker not to make a Mac version of the Becker Content Manager. I imagine quite a few lost sales as a result...

They are expecting to release a newer version of software in March (cant say exact date), this will include map updates

They told me end of February, so maybe they just say the next month whenever you phone. Losing faith now

asinrutee said:
They told me end of February, so maybe they just say the next month whenever you phone. Losing faith now

Yeah, Working for an IT company I understand the sort of issues that can occur and delay things, lets hope its because they are testing it thoroughly and will have all or a lot of the buggy bits fixed.

I suggested they change/add warning for being over the speed limit as a % as I think it would be more useful than the 1,5,10 mph over they currently provide, setting it to say 5 or 10% would work well and fit in well with the leeway the police allow.

I just hope the mute function gets fixed as thats what I find most tedious although they say thats down to the head unit but MB just dont seem interested , maybe talking to cust serv at head office might help.

Has anyone else been directed off a main road onto a roundabout then back onto same road when main road was clear but roundabout busy ? I have seen that twice now, not clever as actually takes you into traffic jam. Luckily I knew that bit of road well and didnt choose the route suggested.

I bought one last week off Ebay , £185 plus £12 postage from Germany ,slotted in worked fine, dodgy usb lead meant the PC did not pick it up , used one from an old camera worked fine , updated the software and map to
Version: Q411 , Item number: ECE2013008743, I hope they release a new map before my 45 days! i tested it locally ( live in channel islands) postcode entry is awful , map is years out of date , perhaps they're using the the version from when the Germans occupied the islands. I am assuming the UK mainland and Europe are more up to date , will be keeping my tomtom a while longer i think .

Hi All,

Just got an email from Becker and they state the postcode issue is resolved in upcoming release due in March

"In what concerns the fourth query, please be informed that the post codes issue will be fixed with the next software update, released this March"

Lets hope their idea of what makes it fixed and useable is what we would expect :)

Does anyone have an an Idea how long the update takes?

ashadam said:

Mine took about an hour and a half but I do have a reasonably quick Internet connection

ashadam said:

It took about half an hour on mine but then I did use an 8mbps ADSL connection and my work laptop that is very high spec.

When you update, first remove the current maps using content manager ( back up device first) and then download update as otherwise it may fail due to lack of space when it tries to copy all the new software and maps.

It took about half an hour on mine but then I did use an 8mbps ADSL connection and my work laptop that is very high spec.

When you update, first remove the current maps using content manager ( back up device first) and then download update as otherwise it may fail due to lack of space when it tries to copy all the new software and maps.
I just went ahead with updates was not aware you needed to delete current maps, I also bypassed backup for now presuming I can do this after?

Mine took about an hour and a half but I do have a reasonably quick Internet connection
Not sure what my connection is sky says

Download Speed: 19.3 Mbps Upload Speed: 0.9 Mbps
&
Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed Says

Download Speed: 15332 kbps (1916.5 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 800 kbps (100 KB/sec )

So if I go with 1 1/2 hours hopefully should be done by then I'll save the drive until tomorrow then.

I didn't delete all maps but did delete a lot of the country's that I knew there was no chance me visiting. This freed up enough space. I did do the back up before but shouldn't see it causing an issue.

ashadam said:
I just went ahead with updates was not aware you needed to delete current maps, I also bypassed backup for now presuming I can do this after?

You may get away without deleting ( fingers crossed), I got a new unit in feb 2013 (8GB) and tried updating after backup and about 90% through it failed.

I then removed maps from device and update went through much more quickly.

Problem is with maps on device there isnt a lot of spare free space on device and I dont think their update removes old files till after new ones are successfully copied which can cause it to be painfully slow.

You may get away without deleting ( fingers crossed), I got a new unit in feb 2013 (8GB) and tried updating after backup and about 90% through it failed.

I then removed maps from device and update went through much more quickly.

Problem is with maps on device there isnt a lot of spare free space on device and I dont think their update removes old files till after new ones are successfully copied which can cause it to be painfully slow.
Makes sense looks like a long night then and will go deleting route if this does not work out. thanks guys

ashadam said:
Makes sense looks like a long night then and will go deleting route if this does not work out. thanks guys

Not easy to explain here but once you upgrade do a backup once you get some free time and them remove maps and restore from backup. In simple terms when you remove the maps and reinstall the files will be put on without being split into chunks (fragmented) all over the memory so they will be read more quickly and it MAY help the device behave a bit better

Not easy to explain here but once you upgrade do a backup once you get some free time and them remove maps and restore from backup. In simple terms when you remove the maps and reinstall the files will be put on without being split into chunks (fragmented) all over the memory so they will be read more quickly and it MAY help the device behave a bit better
Unfortunately I am still at the stage of the Becker Map Pilot still updating with no indicator, I will give it another 30 mins and if no movement will try by deleting maps I don't need if it allows me too.

Yeah that should be fine, when mine failed I removed all the maps and then chose the update again, I then had to add the extra maps I wanted back in after but you will find a lot are for countries you may never visit

ashadam said:
Unfortunately I am still at the stage of the Becker Map Pilot still updating with no indicator, I will give it another 30 mins and if no movement will try by deleting maps I don't need if it allows me too.

Did you manage to get it updated?

Did you manage to get it updated?
I fell asleep and did not have laptop plugged in, I used all day today and worked fine but not sure if updated or not so will try again and see what happens.

Could someone explain to me if there is a difference between a 12/12 model and 01/13 and what the relevance of the expiry date is?

I bought mine in Jan 2013 ans it is an 09/12 Model

It didnt have the latest update included so I had to update this.

I would presume an 01/13 will have the latest software 2.0.51 and maps installed

Note that we are expecting another update this month so in reality it probably wont make a blind bit of difference as you will be updating your unit shortly anyway most likely.

Havent a clue about the expiry date, mine shows Q1/2014, maybe it has to be registered by then or will fail. Seems a strange idea really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom