Becker Map pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jchilv87

Car
C220
Hi iv recently brought a c220 and the Becker sat nav was working fine, however it has since stopped working. Iv tried plugging it into my Mac and pc but neither of them reconise it. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?
Thanks

Hi iv recently brought a c220 and the Becker sat nav was working fine, however it has since stopped working. Iv tried plugging it into my Mac and pc but neither of them reconise it. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?
Thanks
The way BMP works, is that the external power supply charges the internal battery, and the SatNav in turn works off the internal battery. This is done to prevent voltage flactuations.

20180725_221602.jpg

If the rechargeable battery is fully discharged, or faulty, then the BMP unit won't work.

Obviously, for this reason the BMP will also not work with the battery removed... so if the battery failed, it must be replaced. There are plenty on offer (both original and non-original) on eBay.

Obviously, for this reason the BMP will also not work with the battery removed... so if the battery failed, it must be replaced. There are plenty on offer (both original and non-original) on eBay.

Ok thanks what’s the best way of charging is it just leave it connected in the car or plug it into my computer?
Also when it’s connected in the car it comes up on the screen display as Becker Maps but doesn’t go any further than that. If the battery was flat would the car even recognise that the day nav was connected?
Thanks

Ok, I thought it was dead. In this case the data on the internal memory may have been corrupted. Check the user manual on line, there's a process for 'reset to factory default' , but if this does not revive it then the unit might be faulty.

Ok, I thought it was dead. In this case the data on the internal memory may have been corrupted. Check the user manual on line, there's a process for 'reset to factory default' , but if this does not revive it then the unit might be faulty.
Ok thanks il try that

You may need a Windows laptop to run the Becker Content Manager and reset / update the firmware, maps etc.

EDIT - Ooops just saw you tried a PC

And you have to use the red lead that comes with it, a normal usb cable wont work

Still cant get this to work. Does anyone know of anywhere i can send it to to get it checked over and updated?

If the reset button does not fix it, then it is probably faulty and you would need to contact Becker. Harman Becker Shop

I just use any Micro USB cable with mine. No need for any special lead.

Mine wouldnt connect at all with a standard lead, bought a genuine lead and bang was in, that being said mine does quite often give me questionable directions/routes

Hi all, yesterday my BMP started doing exactly the same. It just seems to re boot and is on a kind of loop. I don't have the genuine usb lead but when I updated the maps in September I used a standard lead no problem. Now the BMP is not recognised with by the PC, any ideas where I can buy a genuine "red" usb lead. Frustrated that the BMP just stopped working no notice or pending issues just will not boot up. Not a happy chappy at the moment.......any ideas or solutions @alanjm99 might be interested in buying the one you have for sale if I cant get this one running.

I had issues last year with my Becker my windows laptop and my Macbook wouldnt recognise it - I had to use an old PC with Win XP on it to reflash it. I later discovered an old Win 7 laptop that would recognise it - probably as it hadnt had any windows updates in a long time.

Hi all, yesterday my BMP started doing exactly the same. It just seems to re boot and is on a kind of loop. I don't have the genuine usb lead but when I updated the maps in September I used a standard lead no problem. Now the BMP is not recognised with by the PC, any ideas where I can buy a genuine "red" usb lead. Frustrated that the BMP just stopped working no notice or pending issues just will not boot up. Not a happy chappy at the moment.......any ideas or solutions @alanjm99 might be interested in buying the one you have for sale if I cant get this one running.

Ebay

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON BECKER!!
I acquired my secondhand E220 (2012) last year and it included the Becker Sat Nav module. The map edition was dated 2012, so I splashed out 100 Euros or so to update it and added the Safety Camera add-on for another 25 Euros. After a massive amount of faffing around trying to connect to PC, I finally figured that an old PC might work and it did (it does not work in Windows 10). I 'updated' and 'added' my two new pieces of software. Neither of which worked, despite showing the completed process when connected to PC!! I tried to call them on the UK number; no answer; ever! I tracked down their German number; no answer, ever! Now that number does not even work. I wrote to them several times; no answer! Clearly, they are a bunch of crooks, so look elsewhere for a Sat Nav solution! Pity they're not based in the UK, I would happily pay them a visit.

I had a Becket Map Pilot and had no issues updating the maps using Windows 10 PC.

You need to:

- Register your unit online
- Download and install the correct firmware update (there are a few versions)
- Download and install the correct PC manager software (again there's more than one version)
- Backup the unit using the PC software before proceeding
- Install the new maps update

Check also that:
- The internal battery is fine (not bulging or leaking)
- You are using the correct Mini-USB cable
- Try carrying-out a factory reset (theres a button on the device)
- Try using a different PC

With regards support, my understanding is that the company is no longer trading, though they do (somehow) still sell maps updates.

Yep, did everything on mine successfully via Windows 10. The only hickup was that I didn't have the required space on the C: drive and was trying to install the data directory (for the backups) onto the D: drive. Software didn't like that and once I cleared the space (minimum of the same size as the Becker unit) on the C: drive and did the default install it all went fine.

You can use any mini usb cable as long as it is a data cable and not just a charge cable.

There are fake Becker units out there which work fine, but cannot be updated with the latest maps as they are cloned units and blacklisted. These can give similar problems as described above. Hopefully your secondhand unit is not one of these knock off's.

Reactions: Ted
I think the 'fake' units are actually standard BMP units that had their serial number replaced (in software) so that they can be updated using maps circulating on file sharing websites.

So the seller is offering a BMP unit with 'latest maps', but the maps were in fact taken from another unit.

Probably this can be fixed by some sort of factory reset that will restore the unit's original serial number (and remove the latest maps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom