Becker Traffic Pro into a W202 - GPS aerial location

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe_SP

Car
2013 E250 & 1999 M3
Hi all

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best place to put the GPS aerial when installing a Becker traffic pro into a W202?

When I installed my GPS I fitted the aerial on top of the central air vents inside the dash board, I seem to get a very good signal from this area, it can be accessed by removing the glove box.

I placed the GPS aerial in the first aid compartment on the rear parcel shelf on my bro-in-laws W202.

A little more effort but it works perfectly. I needed to remove the cabling for his old CD changer so it worked out quite well :D

Does the aerial not need 'line of sight' to the sky?

on my W124 I mounted mine on the front crossmember, directly behind the radiator grille.

Andy

Technically yes, but it actually works pretty well like this. I know that on other models, the GPS aerial is quite often just underneath the dash pointing up to the windscreen.

Parked in our drive, he gets at least 5 or 6 satellites, compared to 7 or 8 with the factory fit COMAND in my W203 :)

On my old W202 sedan I've instelled the GPS antenna (from a Pioneer Avic X1-r navigation system) on the rear parcel, below the speaker grill (I hadn't the speaker there).

I have mine on top of the bar that runs behind the dash which you can feel when you take out the glovebox. The GPS can see through plastic and glass but not metal (or some special glass that blocks signals too). I get up to 9 and have gotten 10 sats there, but usually 7-8.

ive got my alpine gps aeriel under the back shelf on the metal part, works perfectly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom