Becker unit GPS aerial replacement - help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Surreygraham

Car
C class coupe 2014
So I've finally given up with Becker after 10 emails and 10 responses telling me the same thing over and over again.

I get no GPS signal and when I look in the Becker info it says 0 satellites. Becker keep telling me to install a firmware update but every time I try it gets to the point of pressing the reset button - which I do - and the unit disconnects from my PC. The Becker software tells me to wait and eventually tells me that it is unable to reconnect to the unit. Not suprising since it disconnected from the PC when I press re-set never to connect again!

So, instead of this pointless exercise with Becker I thought I'd try replacing the GPS antenna to see if it fixes the problem.

The Becker unit is in the glove compartment and the GPS aerial on the roof. The cable for the GPS aerial heads towards the right hand side of the car but I can't see where it goes after that.

Various forums suggest connecting a new aerial in the back of the Audio 20 unit somewhere and using hooks to remove the air vents and go from there. I am happy to give all of this a go as I'm quite handy but don't want to do that if it is a dead end.

Can anyone help me with advice on whether this is a good approach and then point me in the direction of instructions to do this new GPS aerial installation please?

Any help much appreciated. BTW its a 2014 C class Coupe - lovely car (just no sat nav!).

Thanks.

The guys at Comand Online in Lightwater can fit a new GPS antenna to your C Class.
Give them a call with your Vin# handy as they like to check what is fitted beforehand.

I think you shouldn't take it any further until you've managed to update the firmware on your BMP unit, because if it's faulty then you'll be wasting your money on a new Antenna.

And, while it's obviously possible to replace the factory-fitted GPS antenna, a more practical option will be to place a new GPS antenna inside the dash behind the instrument cluster - there's a dedicated space for it there, and you won't need to remove the headlining. In either case you'll need to identify the cabling from the GPS antenna first.

But again, I wouldn't do anything until the BMP unit is sorted - try using a different PC, etc.

I updated the firmware my BMP unit when I bought the car in 2017, and it went through fine in first attempt.

I sorted the Firmware issue after a lot of wor and I posted the outcome elsewhere.

It still turned out to be the aerial.

if anyone is interested there is a double Fakar connection on the back of the Becker unit which can be accessed by dropping out the glove box in which the Becker unit resides on some cars. I found this out after removing the center console 😤(Mine is a 2014 C class coupe)

I bought a double to single connector cable and a new GPS aerial - all fixed for £16 but an awful lot of pain on the way......

Hi Surreygraham
having what looks to be same problem as you with GPS aerial, Do you have any part numbers for the cable and aerial you fitted?

Sure, I bought:
and

I removed the glove compartment to get to the back of the Becker unit and it’s a straight plug in. I located the antenna in the space in the top left of the area behind the glove compartment before I replaced it. I just put the compartment back loosely, drove around to make sure it worked and then finalised the fitting.

A cheap quick job if i had known what I was doing to start with 😎

Sure, I bought:
and

I removed the glove compartment to get to the back of the Becker unit and it’s a straight plug in. I located the antenna in the space in the top left of the area behind the glove compartment before I replaced it. I just put the compartment back loosely, drove around to make sure it worked and then finalised the fitting.

A cheap quick job if i had known what I was doing to start with 😎
Thanks Surreygraham, think will look down this route this weekend, car was booked in at MB as its got 12month approved used warranty but I suspect they will try telling me it does not cover navigation parts so for the cost of these worth a try.

Does anyone know where the standard fit GPS antenna is fitted on the W246 (2014 B Class) is fitted? just want to check connections before start adding aftermarket type?

Thanks Surreygraham, think will look down this route this weekend, car was booked in at MB as its got 12month approved used warranty but I suspect they will try telling me it does not cover navigation parts so for the cost of these worth a try.
Just an update and again THanks to Surreygraham worked a treat after finding out I had not pushed double connector in Becker unit fully in .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom