Been brainwashed by my w.f.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smart320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Toyota RAV4 3dr , SLK55amg, ML320 (2 ) A210 , E320 ( all gone )
Having decided we were in no hurry to replace my SLK 55 my wife's RAV4 decided to suddenly become unreliable ( now sorted at not inconsiderable expense ). 5 days without a set of wheels meant I was spending too much time on my iPad looking at cars for sale.
On checking my local garages I happened to see a lovely Bentley Continental with 39k on the clock and a brilliant service record.
Just had to check it out , but having done so remembered there was no way I could afford the sort of repair bills that might come my way , let alone the cost of servicing it.
However my wife had already told me many times she liked the Mini and that she would like me to buy my next car with seats she found comfortable and that she might enjoy driving.
I was suddenly drawn to a 2015 3 door Mini Cooper Automatic, basic spec, no extras but one lady owner and 19k miles on the website for a really good price, ignoring the Tesla, Viper , new Top Gear CooperS Rally car and others for sale!
The garage has a very good reputation locally so off we went to see it ( and the Bentley 😂 )
Have agreed to buy it, having had a test drive, it has covered only 300 miles in the last 15 months but drove beautifully, remarkably quick ( well if not compared with the SLK )
It passed the MOT yesterday, no advisories, having a service tomorrow and a new boot seal as there was a sign of damp in the boot.
My wife is happy and I hope I will not regret it ( but already thinking about 16/17 inch alloys instead of 15inch and wishing it had not got halogens 😕
Picking it up on Friday,
Hope moving to the dark side ( well Grey really ) will not mean my ejection from the forum

The Mini is a nice car to be fair but I don’t think you can compare it to a SLK55 😯

So you were looking for a Bentley and found a Mini...? Well, not a bad day all in all... :D

The (new) Mini Cooper is a cracking car, BTW.

Just to be clear , was looking at , not for a Bentley ! Mind you my neighbour told me he thought a Bentley Continental would suit me perfectly. I closed my ears to his suggestion.

All the '2nd gen' Mini s I have driven have been a real hoot to drive. A proper little roller skate.
My sister has had one for years and is about to replace it with...one very similar. Concur about the halogen lamps, but I'd leave the small wheels on as the ride is already borderline harsh, unless, of course vanity gets the better of you.:)

Am even more impressed having driven it 10 miles over the twisty , hilly road to our home. Have already decided I will probably stick with the 15 inch wheels .
image.jpeg

Just taken the Mini out for first time since I drove it home. 😀😀😀😁😁 Really enjoy the way it handles , great fun , very comfortable driver's seat , faster than I expected and even the engine sounds rather nice . Not missing the SLK55 ( much ) 😳

I must say I actually really love our newly aquired Mini Cooper Auto. Plenty of power , surprisingly I am not missing the V8 too much despite only having 3 cylinders ! It has oodles of low down grunt but is no slouch when you push it and use the kick down and no issue with it being front wheel drive, the 6 speed auto box is really nice. The Cooper has 15 inch wheels and so the ride is excelled , the S will of course be harder on bigger wheels. It actually doesn't seem smaller inside than the SLK ( maybe it isn't 🤔) and the build quality is good for a relatively inexpensive car and discovered last night even the halogen headlights are very acceptable and the interior, even without any extras to the Std.spec, has LED, illumination of door handles and below the central controls , a very pleasant surprise. Front seats in the Cooper are comfortable although I must say we are both reasonably slim and both well under 6' but seems plenty of adjustment available. In all considering it was bought without too much thought and without driving it for more than 15 minutes and only about 4-5 miles it has turned out to be brilliant and it seems hardly to use any petrol despite being given plenty of heavy right foot! Am sure you will enjoy an S but might be worth trying a Cooper, the test figures don't show the S to be much faster.

Probably similar (or same) engine as in our f30_bmw318i. Decent power coupled with a 9 speed "steptronic".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom