Been modding again........now I'm finished!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
You will remember that I have been experimenting with suspensions, ride heights, springs, dampers etc. I bought an avantguarde but thought it too high and too soft. I then bought C32 springs and they made the cornering awesome but getting the ride height right was difficult even with different spring pads. I then looked into Brabus suspension kits and then Koni FSDs.

I then had a conversation with one of Koni's technical workshops. I explained what I had done and we looked at the options. The C32 and my car have nearly the same weight being applied to the back axle and so we agreed that the spring rate was OK for my car ie. sporting but not rigid, and that the ride height could be adjusted by spring pads.

The front on the other hand was sitting a touch high and whilst in normal conditions the ride was fine, under certain conditions the front was over sprung. The workshop calculated that the C32 springs were made to bear 80kg more than my car was exerting on the front axle and that this was result in the car recoiling a bit quick in conditions where the nose was lightened (eg. a brow of a shall bump).

I did more research are realised that MB Sport Edition springs were lower and of the correct spring rating for my car (ordered specifically for my cars engine and options)

On looking at the fitting options I realised that there were sqeaks and groans from various bushes and so to cut a long story short I had my suspension rebuilt. It now has new traction arms, bushes, rubber seats for the top of the front suspension, new shocks, front springs.........

oh and to finish it off a set of Goodyear excellence tyres!

The result is stunning.

Visually the car sits equally on all four wheels with equal gaps all around.
Noise wise, there are none!
Ride wise- Utterly perfect, it rides like a brand new car (so it should)
Handling - utterly secure, well balanced, neutral handling.

Very pleased with the result. Never touching suspension again!

Photo of the finished result of all my modding...
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=422264#post422264

You will remember that I have been experimenting with suspensions, ride heights, springs, dampers etc. I bought an avantguarde but thought it too high and too soft. I then bought C32 springs and they made the cornering awesome but getting the ride height right was difficult even with different spring pads. I then looked into Brabus suspension kits and then Koni FSDs.

I then had a conversation with one of Koni's technical workshops. I explained what I had done and we looked at the options. The C32 and my car have nearly the same weight being applied to the back axle and so we agreed that the spring rate was OK for my car ie. sporting but not rigid, and that the ride height could be adjusted by spring pads.

The front on the other hand was sitting a touch high and whilst in normal conditions the ride was fine, under certain conditions the front was over sprung. The workshop calculated that the C32 springs were made to bear 80kg more than my car was exerting on the front axle and that this was result in the car recoiling a bit quick in conditions where the nose was lightened (eg. a brow of a shall bump).

I did more research are realised that MB Sport Edition springs were lower and of the correct spring rating for my car (ordered specifically for my cars engine and options)

On looking at the fitting options I realised that there were sqeaks and groans from various bushes and so to cut a long story short I had my suspension rebuilt. It now has new traction arms, bushes, rubber seats for the top of the front suspension, new shocks, front springs.........

oh and to finish it off a set of Goodyear excellence tyres!

The result is stunning.

Visually the car sits equally on all four wheels with equal gaps all around.
Noise wise, there are none!
Ride wise- Utterly perfect, it rides like a brand new car (so it should)
Handling - utterly secure, well balanced, neutral handling.

Very pleased with the result. Never touching suspension again!

Photo of the finished result of all my modding...
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=422264#post422264

Thats what I call dedication to getting it just right. Well done.

Car looks supurb. All you need now is....Comand to finish it off but then I would say that wouldnt I:rolleyes:

Thanks Alfie, I have taken ages to get it right but it does feel SO good to get it right. I'm trying to give up modding!! But when I get command one day, you'll fit it!

R2D2, Great looking car and excellent work! Does that mean you now have an Avantgarde with Sport pack suspension?

Thanks Alfie, I have taken ages to get it right but it does feel SO good to get it right. I'm trying to give up modding!!!

You cant. You are addicted to it;)

R2D2, Great looking car and excellent work! Does that mean you now have an Avantgarde with Sport pack suspension?

I guess in aroundabout way it probably does as I now have uprated shocks and springs plus all the other new bits and pieces. It feels better with the correctly rated items then it did with the C32 bits fitted.

You cant. You are addicted to it;)

I'd like to argue but lets face it there is enough evidence to convict me just in this thread let alone the whole forum!!:D

Looking good Greg .. nice choice of suspension ;)

Think it needs the body kit though .. as well as COMAND ... go on .. you know you want to :p

S.

Thanks Alfie, I have taken ages to get it right but it does feel SO good to get it right. I'm trying to give up modding!! But when I get command one day, you'll fit it!

Nooo! Don't stop we all relish the next installment. A great example for the rest of us :D :rock:

Looking good Greg .. nice choice of suspension ;)

Think it needs the body kit though .. as well as COMAND ... go on .. you know you want to :p

S.

I daren't! I dread to think how much I spend on modding. It looks good, goes well, and has all its toys. I really must leave it alone for a bit. .....I must, honestly I will, wont I........

It can always look even better....

Got any blank buttons?

I've got one blank button .. not sure what's supposed to be there .. was there an electric rear blind for the W203 ?

S.

I've got one blank button .. not sure what's supposed to be there .. was there an electric rear blind for the W203 ?

S.

On the saloon, yes

Hmmm.. bet its a nightmare to fit .. will have to find another use for the blank button !

I think the button bank comes in "sets". They aren't seperate buttons, change one you have to change the lot :(

Hmmm.. bet its a nightmare to fit .. will have to find another use for the blank button !

Funnily enough, I think R2D2 has done this mod!

Apparently it is a pain to fit as the rear parcel shelf needs to come out. It looks good when its done though.

I think the button bank comes in "sets". They aren't seperate buttons, change one you have to change the lot :(

I think you are correct. Looking at one last night with all bar one of the button slots occupied, it did look very much like a sealed unit to me.

I had to order a new bank of five for my A class when I started on the heated seats modification!

I think you are correct. Looking at one last night with all bar one of the button slots occupied, it did look very much like a sealed unit to me.

I had to order a new bank of five for my A class when I started on the heated seats modification!

Yup! EPC shows you have to buy the bank, dif part# for dif combinations :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom