Beep/Buzz Sound on ignition turning W124?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imbck666

Car
Mercedes W124 230E Saloon (SOLD), W210 E200 (WRITTEN OFF), W210 E240 2001 Facelift, W211 E220 cdi 07
Hi all,

Ive got a question, im hoping it will be an easy one for you all to answer...

Ive seen lots of W124 videos on youtube where people just turn their ignition to position '1' and there is a distinct buzzer noise kind of like a beeeeeeeeeep sound just like the one you hear when the lights are left on ignition off and driver door open..
The beeeeeep sound is on at position '2' as well until startup when it cuts out...
I just want to know why my w124 doesnt do this and if it was a standard feature on these cars or just on some models??
Sounds silly I know but im slowly restoring my car and want everything to work as it did 21 years ago all sounds etc.. so want it as original as I can get :))

Heres a link to an example as to what I am talking about

YouTube - ‪Mercedes 190e 2.3 problems‬‏

YouTube - ‪Mercedes 190e problems after headgasket replacement‬‏

thanks! =)

Hi
well they are both 190's (w201).... neither of my w124s do that, the 230TE you get the fuel pump buzzing for a second or two, could be that although the vids sound a bit different. The 300TD does nothing like that. HTH

cheers!

the video links i posted are w201 yes but ive seen a few w124s do it as well.. will find the links and post them

My W124 only buzzes when the lights are on & the driver's door is opened; wouldn't surprise me if that was the case in the videos as well. It's certainly only meant to sound when there's a problem - it is a warning buzzer, after all!

Is there a buzzer for the 'handbrake ON' - on the 201 cars ?

It was an option for the 124 cars being used for taxis.

Funilly enough, when shorting one of my fuses installing my dimming rear view mirror on the 124 i did come across a buzzing sound.

i was like what the heck is that, couldnt distiguish where it was comming from and it certainly wasnt the bold buzz of the headlights left on sound either. i know that for sure.

it was defo another warning buzzer of some sort....more of a softer pleasant tone...but constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound. Defo coming out of a little speaker somewhere. Not the sound of somthing mechanical.

Last edited:
anyone have any other ideas???

Your first video is of an American car and this video… YouTube - ‪Start Up 1987 Ford E350 6.9 IDI Diesel‬‏ … is also of an American car, all (older?) American cars have the ignition buzzer, something to do with reminding you to remove the key from the ignition. I think I’m right about that but not absolutely sure.

Dec

Well yes, there is a 'lights on, doors open buzzer' as well, not actually anything to do with starting though...

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom