Beep on opening / closing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nidgemo

Car
2013 E220 SE CDI AUTO SE 7G-Tronic Plus
Just a quick one, but does anyone know how to make a 2008 EClass (W211) emit a beep when locking and opening from the key fob?

I'm sure I've seen ones with it (albeit usually on TV) and would like to do it to mine!

I would imagine the dealer can do it if asked, but hopefully it's just a "press, this, press that, hold these two down for 5 seconds, press that twice" kind of thing!

Thanks

It's not allowed on UK cars.

It can be done by recoding to (say) Dutch, but is illegal.

Why would you want it? Do you not get on with your neighbours?

Interesting - never knew it wasn't allowed in the UK! I have a tendency to walk off and just hit the button on the fob without looking back - a noise would let me know.

Laziness, I know! Never thought of the noise effect at night - suppose it could get annoying!

I did work out today how to make the mirrors fold down when locking the car, so that's a nice feature!

I'm still working my way through the user manual for any little tips and tricks to set everything up perfectly - only got the car yesterday!

If its illegal on UK models, how come my new 2013 E Class does it on lock (activate acoustic lock on menu)?

The Polisher said:
If its illegal on UK models, how come my new 2013 E Class does it on lock (activate acoustic lock on menu)?

My W212 can do the same if I want it to.

Settings > Vehicle > Acoustic Lock

Sounds like a techicality... apparently the regulations forbid use of horn or siren while the vehicle is stationery (other than to prevent theft) hence 'beep on lock' is also forbiden by inference. Odd, that.

It's not allowed on UK cars.

It can be done by recoding to (say) Dutch, but is illegal.

Odd. My C250 has beep/no beep (or rather honk..) as a menu option. Bog standard UK spec car.

It may have been imposed from certain year onwards? Hence older cars have it etc?

I agree.

This is something thant can easily be enabled on VW and Audi cars.

Why do you need to let everyone know that you have locked / unlocked your car?

Very 80's........

I agree.

This is something thant can easily be enabled on VW and Audi cars.

Why do you need to let everyone know that you have locked / unlocked your car?

Very 80's........

This is based on the assumption that the system will be abused by loud chavs... the volume is adjustable and if set low then I can't see how a discreet 'chirp' that can only be heard a few feet away from the car can upset anyone.

a discreet 'chirp' that can only be heard a few feet away from the car can upset anyone.

If that's the case, why bother at all?

Why not just use the visual aid?

If that's the case, why bother at all?

Why not just use the visual aid?

This is a different issue.... the 'beep' is (presumably) banned on the basis that it is disruptive, not that it is pointless.

When I first looked at mine it was set to sound the horn on locking. At least it doesn't have the option (or I've not found it) to make a noise on unlocking.

I asked about this and was told it was switch-able, so suggested that they switched it off. Never heard it since that first day. (Until now when I just checked it)

Couldn't see it impressing my neighbours at daft o'clock in the morning as a habit is to go to the car and unlock it, realise I've forgotten something, re-lock the car and pop back into the house for it.

My C class bleeps when locked, the Viano sadly does not, my neighbours brand new 14 plate A250 honks the horn when locked so something in here is clearly not right.

What about the light still on beep......is that illegal too?

Lights stay on and bleep, well honk the horn.
This is on a new car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom